Wndr 3800 upg 1.6 succes, restore setting failed (fixed)

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Jaoasun

Wndr 3800 upg 1.6 succes, restore setting failed (fixed)

Post by Jaoasun »

Hi all,

Upgrading Netgear Wndr 3800 to 1.6 version was successful. However, when I restored the saved configuration settings the router vanished from the network. It does still start oke, both 2.4 and 5 ghz wireless networks appear with the correct SSID's. But when I try to login the password is not correct.

Also when connecting with a cable connection, it does not respond on the 192.168.1.1 port. DHCP is not active.

I'm not able to connect to the router, and i'm out of ideas how to solve this.

Anyone have a clue how to get access again?

Thx in advance!
Last edited by Jaoasun on Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

sodapopdima

Re: Wndr 3800 upgrade 1.6 succeded, restore of setting faile

Post by sodapopdima »

this may be silly but did you try a 30 30 30 reset

Jaoasun

Re: Wndr 3800 upgrade 1.6 succeded, restore of setting faile

Post by Jaoasun »

Somehow 30-30-30 hard reset did not work.

But, I did manage to get a telnet session started with putty. The first few times trying this resulted in no connection (although I could ping 192.168.1.1).

Turned out I had to turn on the router while holding the reset button, wait for amber light to start flashing, let go of the reset button, wait for green light to get flashing, again use rest button and then somehow the green light starts flashing real fast. Next I was able to telnet connect.

When connected flushed the router settings using firstboot command.

Now back to setting up the router again :-)

PS I did use a configuration backup of a previous (I think 1.4.7) version. Somehow this was not compatible...

Adventure2000

Re: Wndr 3800 upg 1.6 succes, restore setting failed (fixed)

Post by Adventure2000 »

Just a note that the 30-30-30 second hard reset has no effect on routers running Gargoyle/OpenWrt firmware. That only works for DD-Wrt, Tomato etc...