wr703n usb (swap problem trying to use tor)

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

bbsux

wr703n usb (swap problem trying to use tor)

Post by bbsux »

I have a wr703n. I used a 4 gig usb mem stick and used acronis disk manager to make 2 partitions 1st is a 125 linux swap and the rest as fat32.

I tried powering up in the 703n but swap doesn't show up. I ssh'd in to try the mkswap -- but it say mkswap not found

oh and I can't use serial to check boot log cause this this has real smal serial pads plus you got to put a resistor on it.

usb doesn't show up anywhere in the menus

what am i doing wrong?

Eric
Site Admin

Re: wr703n usb (swap problem trying to use tor)

Post by Eric »

The problem is that the wr703n only has 4mb of flash. That means there isn't room on the flash storage for the utilities to manage usb storage/swap (grouped together in the usb storage plugin), even though the device has a usb port. It's sort of a catch-22: not enough storage space for the utilities to mount additional storage, no way to get extra storage without mounting a usb drive...

bbsux

Post by bbsux »

how much space are we talking here? I'd only want to use it as a tor wifi ap, so could you drop out the band width management, pnp, monitoring, etc- everything that wasn't needed?

then let it load the tor package onto the swap drive after reboots??

I dunno I'm not a coder.

bbsux

Post by bbsux »

What about a modified wr703n with 16 flash and 64 ram?

Would we need a special flash?

kentchristopher

Post by kentchristopher »

Has anyone found a solution to this issue of not being able to utilize USB storage to add plugins on the wr703n? I'm liking Gargoyle but I really need the Wi-Fi scanning plugin.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It’s not possible with the default firmware sorry.
You might be able to make your own and strip EVERYTHING out of it to get it to fit, but you would probably lose every feature you like about Gargoyle.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.