Gargoyle on a DIR-825 b1

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

s4m0ur41

Gargoyle on a DIR-825 b1

Post by s4m0ur41 »

Hi there,

Very impatient to test Gargoyle since I'am on DD_WRT for few years now.
After research on the forum, it seems that USB feature on lastest version is problematic like USB storage or USP Printer. is this true? On my side this
option must be functionnal (wife bussiness :oops: )
Also, I couldn't clearly found out in the forum if it is possible to switch from DD_WRT to Gargoyle. like using the DD_WRT upgrade web menu to install Gargoyle image. Did somebody try that successfully?
I would like to apologize in advance if I asked dumb questions but I went through all installations pages forums and I may have missed some hints.
Thank you and have a nice day.

s4m0ur41

Re: Gargoyle on a DIR-825 b1

Post by s4m0ur41 »

Hi there,

Since I couldn't have assistance I went with the 30/30/30 procedure to access the D-Link Firmware Upgrade System. I choose the "gargoyle_1.5.10-ar71xx-generic-dir-825-b1-squashfs-factory.bin" file. After 45 minutes nothing was installed at all ? I tried another couple of time without any success. I thought that I maybe bricked my router so I tried to install the "dir825_revB_fw_207.bin" file (D-Link firmware) and a couple of minute after I was on business.
Don't know what I missed here since I followed the install procedure:

Atheros AR71XX Routers:
D-Link DIR-825 b1,b2 64MB 8MB 1 *-dir-825-*

There are typically two files available for each of these routers. One “factory” file should be used to install from the original factory firmware, while one “sysupgrade” file should be used to upgrade an existing Gargoyle/OpenWrt installation.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Have a good day.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Your router is supported by Gargoyle but it seems that getting the initial firmware image on the router can be difficult.

Did you read the instructions over at http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir-825? There are many caveats depending on the OS you are using, the browser you are using, the firmware currently on the router. You mentioned none of these in your post.

You are using the correct image. Keep trying.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

s4m0ur41

Post by s4m0ur41 »

@pbix;

Thank you for your help but after several unsuccessful attempts I may give up installing Gargoyle on my dir-825.
Each time it uploads correctly the firmware image but after nothing happen. The power led keeps an orange steady.
I reverted to D-Link, then to DD-WRT, then D-Link and then again DD_WRT without any problems at all.
I really don't know what I am not doing right !?
The only thing that bugs me is both D-Link and DD-WRT are 6 megs and Gargoyle 4 megs.
Have a nice day.

Hollud

Post by Hollud »

I recently changed over from DD-WRT to Gargoyle. I used the recovery flash interface (press and hold reset button until power indicator blinks steadily, then upload UI from there), and it's been working fine for me.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there's something amiss, but I cannot install USB storage because Gargoyle only sees 2.5MB of free space for plugins. This has me a little confused, and at a loss because I switched to Gargoyle because DD-WRT broke USB storage support in their most recent revision.

ImageClick for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

Any thoughts?

imrangargoyle

Post by imrangargoyle »

s4m0ur41 wrote:@pbix;

Thank you for your help but after several unsuccessful attempts I may give up installing Gargoyle on my dir-825.
Each time it uploads correctly the firmware image but after nothing happen. The power led keeps an orange steady.
I reverted to D-Link, then to DD-WRT, then D-Link and then again DD_WRT without any problems at all.
I really don't know what I am not doing right !?
The only thing that bugs me is both D-Link and DD-WRT are 6 megs and Gargoyle 4 megs.
Have a nice day.
I was able to install Gargoyle using this method,

First,
I have Windows 8.1 with IE 11, but had success using Firefox version, 25.0.1 standard version.

Do a 30-30-30 reset to put the router in firmware recovery mode,
then selected the factory build for DIR-825 B1, and set my pc to
IP 192.168.1.120 and netmask as standard 255.255.255.0, ok it and then,
pinged on 192.168.1.1 to get a reply.

Then used firefox to send in the firmware, which worked, as both chrome and IE 11 didn't work.

And then wait for router to settle and happy, configuring it.

Algeorge

Post by Algeorge »

Hollud wrote:I recently changed over from DD-WRT to Gargoyle. I used the recovery flash interface (press and hold reset button until power indicator blinks steadily, then upload UI from there), and it's been working fine for me.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there's something amiss, but I cannot install USB storage because Gargoyle only sees 2.5MB of free space for plugins. This has me a little confused, and at a loss because I switched to Gargoyle because DD-WRT broke USB storage support in their most recent revision.

ImageClick for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

Any thoughts?
I had exact same issue; same lack of memory. Nobody has bothered to reply to yours and my separate post which is a shame as its obviously a common issue.
Cheers,
Alistair