Help with a WNDR3800

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

AndyP

Help with a WNDR3800

Post by AndyP »

I’m trying to setup my Netgear WNDR3800 wireless router with Gargoyle to monitor and limit my wireless network at home. I’m totally new to all this modifying of routers so I read through all the information I could get. Being new, I decided to load the OpenWrt image first to see if that would work with the modem. I managed to flash my router RAM directly using the stock GUI. I was then able to logon successfully using the GUI. The problem I had was getting the ADSL modem connected to the router to work or be recognised.

I tried going through the process of setting up the WAN with IP Aliases as in the tutorial on the OpenWrt site, but this option didn’t appear for me at all. I’m at a total loss as to how to get the WAN then the wireless part working.

If I installed Gargoyle directly, does it already have the ‘bits setup’ for WAN and such. Or does it need setup like OpenWrt? I’ve managed to flash the factory image back into the router and get it working from standard. But I really like the features of Gargoyle, so I’d like to get that installed and working.

Any help would be appreciated.

DoesItMatter

Re: Help with a WNDR3800

Post by DoesItMatter »

Gargoyle is a lot more GUI friendly than OpenWRT for configuration

Not sure how you are with flashing, but there is a 1.5.10 firmware
image for the WNDR3800 so you should be able to upgrade

If you are back on stock firmware - you want to use this version:

gargoyle_1.5.10-ar71xx-generic-wndr3800-squashfs-factory.img

Looks like you can flash it from the Netgear web interface.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

AndyP

Re: Help with a WNDR3800

Post by AndyP »

Thanks for the info.

Flashed my router directly with gargoyle successfully and now the fun begins with the settings.

Fantastic software.

i_bounce

Re: Help with a buffalo

Post by i_bounce »

hey DoesItMatter ,
can i do just the same way with buffalo WZR-HP-G450H? from stock just to update the factory.bin?