Tp-link 1043ND bricked

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

guiguix

Tp-link 1043ND bricked

Post by guiguix »

Hi everybody,
I am here because I need some help and advice.
I am trying to bring back to life a tp-link 1043ND v1.8 router that was badly flashed.
The router was first successfully flashed to gargoyle 1.4.7 working properly, but no DHCP function where available.
So simply tried to upgrade to a 1.5.4 version, downloaded the right sysupgrade.bin file and went to update.
Of course router update restart etc... but didn't get no ip address from the router once restarted. Tried to setup a manual ip to access it but no success.
Check my sysupgrade file and of course the file is 1mb instead of 6mb+.
So realize my computer didn't download the file completely, and I upgraded with that.
Right now only the power light comes on and the led for the lan I connected. All leds flashes once quickly when power on.
I believe it's bricked, but could you confirm me that :(
Is there a way to bring it back to life ?
Thank you in advance

Hanselan-DE

Re: Tp-link 1043ND bricked

Post by Hanselan-DE »

Some tips are in this thread, jtag is always the latest and most complicated.

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=25540

Bye
Eric

doritos

Post by doritos »

JTAG is not possible at all (no write access), however you can easily recover it by serial.

All you need is a TTL to USB adapter (like this one or a TTL-to-RS232 and then a RS232 to USB if your computer doesn't have serial port.

.//Hack

Post by .//Hack »

I brick too (lost /bin folder), but simple recover. My steps:
1. Load in failsafe mode. Power on router, when sys led blink hold QSS button then sys led blink faster. Now we in failsafe mode.
2. Connect PC to LAN1
3. IP settings on PC is 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0
4. Launch web-server on PC. Put firmware to it (firm.bin)
5. Connect to router via telnet (Putty telnet)
6. Enter in console: sysupgrade http://192.168.1.2/firm.bin
7. Router upgrade and reboot.

But after recover router not try pppoe up. I try reset, upgrade firmware via webUI. No effect.

I download official firmware (name must be without 'boot') to web-server (ofirm.bin). And via SSH upgrade: sysupgrade http://192.168.1.2/ofirm.bin.
Router up pppoe.
I upgrade again to Gargoyle. And pppoe up fine.

Maybe can replace web-server on USB-HDD and upgrade from mounted HDD. I didn't try.
Last edited by .//Hack on Tue May 29, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guiguix

Post by guiguix »

Thanks a lot for your help, I am trying right away.

guiguix

Post by guiguix »

Hi everybody,
So after many try the failsafe mode is not working for me.
I actually don't get the sys led blink on my router, the power led comes on and all leds comes on once for a half second and then power led only.

It seems like I would need doritos help to try is solution.
I wasn't able to order from your link, but find the same item on ebay but in 6-pin version, would it work ?
here

Thank you

epicbrew

Post by epicbrew »

I recently had to de-brick a Linksys router using the serial console. Not 100% sure about the 6-pin adapter you found. Might work. Here is another link where you might be able to get the adapter:

http://www.geeetech.com/pl2303-usb20-to ... onl52bde71

I ended up purchasing a Nokia CA-42 cable off amazon (DKU-5 cable works too) and converting it into a serial cable (see link below). If you go this route, one word of caution: the graphic in the link below that shows which pins are TX and RX is wrong (they have it backwards). The text below the image correctly identifies pin 6 as TX and pin 7 as RX. Probably the ready made USB adapters are a better choice these days, but I had fun modifying the cable...

http://www.uchobby.com/index.php/2009/1 ... ble-for-3/

guiguix

Post by guiguix »

Hi,
I am still waiting on that usb TTL serial converter, should reach soon.
Do you have any good tutorials to de-bricked a tp-link router ?
Thank you

guiguix

Post by guiguix »

Hi,
Could I get some help to unbricked my router tp-link 1043ND, please.
I have a Usb-TTL adapter, I found different ways JTAG or serial.
Not to sure which way to go.
Thanks in advance

fi5ban

Re: Tp-link 1043ND bricked(another)

Post by fi5ban »

Hi Gargoyle Fans!!
I just got my 2 new TP-Link 1043nd routers :D
1> was time upgrade from my linksys
2>got this one cause it looks like what Eric sells too
3> openvpn!!
loaded 1.5.5 and cruised around and love the options usb drive swap file open vpn and not sure what tor is?? will research later
the next day saw Eric had fixed the vpn so i downloaded the 1.5.6 sysupgrade and flashed it through gargoyle, not sure if I just ran out of patients or I should have set ips to defaults for the flash as a friend suggest for the future. but i bricked it (oops brand new shinny brick) :o

did 2nd router from factory with the factory load to 1.5.6 went like a charm so 1 brick and 1 router 50-50 so far.

i have looked around and see i need to get a usb to serial ttl how to tpl but what I don't find is do I also need a usb to usb cable?

Any help be appreciated