DIR-601 Install Help

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

nickenzi

DIR-601 Install Help

Post by nickenzi »

Hello,
I've been browsing the forums and I've seen people that have successfully flashed the DIR-600 image onto the DIR-601 but either their posts are not detailed enough or their methods don't work. I've tried the router's recovery mode, but it keeps kicking the firmware back as it's not built for the right hardware, so I'm wondering if there's another way to do this or if someone can instruct me how to hex edit the file (or provide me with an edited file) so that I can flash it onto my router.

Thanks,
Nick

DoesItMatter

Re: DIR-601 Install Help

Post by DoesItMatter »

What browser are you using to do the upgrade from recovery mode?

You HAVE to get that simple browser specified.

OR - you can try the latest Firefox 10.0 builds.

NO OTHER BROWSER has worked for me in the recovery mode.

It DOES work with Firefox 10.0 - I had to recover my DIR-601
recently and was able to successfully flash the firmware.

Make sure you are using this file:

gargoyle_1.4.6-ar71xx-dir-600-a1-squashfs-factory.bin

Don't bother with the 1.5.x series - its identical to the 1.4.x series
but has TOR, which the DIR-601 cannot use because it doesn't
have enough memory / flash space.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

nickenzi

Post by nickenzi »

I did manage to eventually get it working.

First, I had to flash it to the DIR-600 firmware
ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir600/Firm ... _101NA.zip

Then I flashed an older version of gargoyle
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/download ... actory.bin

Finally, I upgraded to 1.4.6 using:
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/download ... pgrade.bin

For some reason, the router was vehemently against taking the 1.4.6 factory build no matter how I tried to flash it.

sprx

Post by sprx »

I can't seem to get anything to flash to my DIR-601. I bought it, flashed DD-WRT for the client bridged mode (without reading that it didn't work) and now I'm stuck trying to get it to restore to factory or anything else. I can get to the emergency upload screen and when the upload starts, the flashing orange light turns solid but I've let it go for over and hour and it was still on dd-wrt when I reset it. I've tried using IE 8, IE 9, Firefox 3.6, Firefox 10.2, Chrome, and the Simple Web Browser (which would never load the emergency page). Any suggestions?

puroc

Post by puroc »

This was the only way to upgrade the firmware I found. Fortunately, this router has an emergency firmware upload page so it is vitually unbrickable. To access the emergency firmware uploading page, you need to:

- Hold down the reset button until the internet connection/globe LED is solid yellow, and the power LED is flashing amber. All other LEDs should not be lit.

- Change the IP address on your wired lan connected computer to 192.168.0.x (x being anything other than "1"), with a subnet of 255.255.255.0

- Now type in http://192.168.0.1 in your web browser.

You will be presented with the emergency fimware recovery/uploader page "D-LINK Firmware Upgrade System ".

You can use this method to upgrade to any firmware version (DDWRT, Factory) but gargoyle is the best.

Be patient until the power light starts flashing green or is a solid green. I had to unplug.

decibel79

Post by decibel79 »

DoesItMatter wrote: ...
Don't bother with the 1.5.x series - its identical to the 1.4.x series
but has TOR, which the DIR-601 cannot use because it doesn't
have enough memory / flash space.
I noticed before you suggest NOT using the 1.5 version as it just adds "TOR" (601 doesnt have the memory for this) which we can use, however i see that you are running "D-Link DIR-601 A1 = Gargoyle 1.5.10" according to your signature. Has your opinion changed with the latest version or have you not updated you signature, or is that what you in fact need for your individual circumstance. guess i should look up TOR next. Thanks

EDIT:

Found out a little about TOR he made reference to. TOR is a layer of encryption and proxied data for anonymity. Idk if it has to be proxied, as that would slow things down, but I believe it strips that data from the packets. I'll let you read more on that if you want.

Refrences:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_%28ano ... network%29
https://www.torproject.org/

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

decibel79 wrote: I noticed before you suggest NOT using the 1.5 version as it just adds "TOR" (601 doesnt have the memory for this) which we can use, however i see that you are running "D-Link DIR-601 A1 = Gargoyle 1.5.10" according to your signature. Has your opinion changed with the latest version or have you not updated you signature, or is that what you in fact need for your individual circumstance. guess i should look up TOR next. Thanks
Yes, I went ahead and flashed Gargoyle 1.5.10 because it is built
with the official 12.09 OpenWRT Attitude Adjustment release

Since these routers only have 4MB of flash and no USB, we don't
benefit from most of Gargoyle's additional features.

Best benefit is OpenWRT 12.09, any QoS updates, code fixes, etc
when you flash Gargoyle 1.5.10 to the DIR-601
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

jissa

Post by jissa »

I have a D-Link DIR 601 ver B1 and I installed the gargoyle version from https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=33231&p=2 and it worked from the start. The problem occurred when I tried to restore a configuration. The restore did not work. After a couple of tries the router stopped working.

I was to get into the failsafe mode and tried the firstboot and I get
mount: mountin /dev/mtdblock7 on /overlay failed: Invalid argument

I did a df to see how much memory I have and it showed that rootfs and /dev/root have 0 available.

Is there a way to recover from this or revert to the original firmware

Thank you for all the help