Reverting back to stock firmware (wzr-hp-g300nh V1)

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

erkme73

Reverting back to stock firmware (wzr-hp-g300nh V1)

Post by erkme73 »

After successfully flashing the 1.4.4 firmware per the instructions here: http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/dok ... -hp-g300nh

I was able to operate my Buffalo router without any issues. I would like to revert back to the Buffalo firmware (the DD-WRT-flavored version) - just to see how it's done. My father has the same router, and has made a Gargoyle trial conditional on the ability to revert back to his current version.

I've searched high and low, and apparently my technical ability is well below what is needed to do this on my own. I tried to telnet back into the router as was done initially, but that appears to be a dead end. I've read where others suggested that jumping between DD-WRT and Gargoyle/Open-WRT is simply done through the GUI web interface, but when I try, I get a perpetual "Upgrading Please Wait" message.

I feel like the village idiot for having to ask, but is there a description on how to revert back anywhere - that comes close to the clarity and simplicity of the installation procedure I linked to above?

BTW, in that referenced link, the two command-line prompts have a minor discrepancy. The download portion refers to 1.4.4, and the mounting portion refers to 1.3.4. Required only a minimal edit to make them both 1.4.4, so no big deal. Just thought someone might want to update both.

TIA - E

DoesItMatter

Re: Reverting back to stock firmware (wzr-hp-g300nh V1)

Post by DoesItMatter »

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... f=8&t=1212

Did you read my post?

The switching back and forth can take a while.

Going from Gargoyle - DD-WRT can take about 15+ minutes.

When you start the upgrade, leave it alone for at least 15 minutes,
then come back and check on it - need to have patience.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

erkme73

Post by erkme73 »

Well, now I really feel dumb... Patience has never been one of my strong points. I just ASSumed since the browsers kept pulling pages, and there was no disruption, the page simply locked up.

I will give it another go. Thanks for your quick reply!

erkme73

Post by erkme73 »

Ok, just a quick update... I followed your write-up to the tee. I was a little snowed on how to edit the hex code, but after a bit more digging, found a hex editor and accomplished the task.

After installing the modified dd-wrt, I was unable to simply go back to the most recent Buffalo firmware. Instead, I had to go to a very specific 'user friendly' image:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Bu ... -HP-G300NH
To revert from DD-WRT back to stock firmware, go to http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=13418, and download the file. Flash using upgrade on the DD-WRT web GUI. This is the 1.6 stock firmware. You can then upgrade to the latest Buffalo firmware. You must be signed into the forum first, sign in then click the link for the webgui revert file. See the forums for details. Register and log in to see and download files.
Once that was installed, I could upgrade to the most recent Buffalo-blessed DD-WRT version (17798).

Most certainly could not have done this without your assistance, DIM... Thanks again.

E

m0ckery13

Post by m0ckery13 »

What hex editor did you use? on Windows or Linux? ALso did you just remove those first bits and save the file then flash? I've got a dd-wrt hex edited file sitting on my desktop hardwired ready to test but I"m nervous! :)

erkme73

Post by erkme73 »

I used this editor:

http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

I don't recall how far I edited - and am not in a position to see the files at the moment. One thing is for sure... if you mess up, and don't have the proper string at the beginning of the hex file, it will simply fail to flash - there won't be any harm. In other words, give it a go, and post results.

If it won't work for you, post here, and I'll use that as a reminder to check my notes and files to see exactly what I changed.

Good luck!

m0ckery13

Post by m0ckery13 »

Thanks much! I'll try that either later today or sometime when I get a chance this week.

I'm going to test out a Linksys e4200 in the next week or so. I will keep you posted.

m0ckery13

Post by m0ckery13 »

hexedited and flashed. Works great, thanks for your help!