Installation issue on wzr-hp-g300nh

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

ibanez7

Installation issue on wzr-hp-g300nh

Post by ibanez7 »

Hello,
I am trying to flash the wzr-hp-g300nh and I am encoutering a continues issue. Here is what I tried:

1. Flashed the router with DD-WRT firmware
2. Tried to update from DD-WRT interface via firmware update (gargoyle_1.4.2-ar71xx-wzr-hp-g300nh-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin) -- getting update failed error few seconds after the attempt.
3. Then I TFTP the file gargoyle_1.4.2-ar71xx-wzr-hp-g300nh-squashfs-tftp.bin
The file is uploaded to modem sucesfully, it seems like it's doing something for a while and then I am getting only one green led and the blue one on the bottom. There is no other activity. Is this normal?

I am trying to look for existing new wifi networks but I don't see anything (so I assume the flash was uncesfull ??). Does the router right after flash already broadcasting a new SSID or is there some other way to get into the router?

The only way I can get back to it is TFTP back the stock firmware.

What I am doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

behappy

Re: Installation issue on wzr-hp-g300nh

Post by behappy »

From the wiki
Migrate from DD-WRT to OpenWrt

All credit to the following instructions goes to Joe Wein (Joe Wein's Blog – Installing OpenWrt from DD-WRT). These instructions should let you convert directly from DD-WRT to OpenWrt in one shot without the need to use TFTP.

Enable SSH on the router
Connect to router using the built-in SSH client for Linux/Mac or PuTTY for Windows

Just copy gargoyle fw to /tmp in stead of the below proces
{ Change directory to /tmp and download OpenWrt .bin (using 10.03.1-rc4 as an example)

cd /tmp
wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 ... pgrade.bin
}

Write the bin to flash memory

mtd -r write openwrt-ar71xx-wzr-hp-g300nh-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin linux

SirDrexl

Re: Installation issue on wzr-hp-g300nh

Post by SirDrexl »

IBanez7, while running the stock firmware (assuming it is the Buffalo DD-WRT, not the "user-friendly" firmware), could you SSH or telnet into the router and enter the following after logging in:

dmesg | grep rtl_chip

I'm curious as to whether you have the rtl8366rb chip and if this is causing your problem.