Installing on Linksys WRT160NL?

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Wisse

Re: Installing on Linksys WRT160NL?

Post by Wisse »

Sure, I'll give it a go. Thanks!

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

http://www.4shared.com/folder/AX_CdbFp/Trunk-Test.html

There you go!

These should have the Luci GUI interface as well as most other options.

---------------------

Actually - try flashing the new 1.4.0 just released!

Eric says it should handle the WRT160NL now.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

Wisse

Post by Wisse »

Thank you again for your great compiling job. I managed to install your firmware. It wouldn't work directly from dd-wrt (bricked router), so I had to resort to serial.

I've set everything up and gotten quite familiar with LuCi UI before I noticed news about new Gargoyle build. That's why I'm staying with my current setup at least until new Backfire release.
Thanks to your help, I was able to easily install QoS packages and got that working. I do however get kernel error from time to time, which is supposedly tied to QoS (similar to this and this ticket). I'll probably go on and report my error when it occurs again, just to make sure that those tickets get enough attention in near future.
I figured Gargoyle uses the same QoS package (dsl-qos-queue) and will not help at eliminating my problem in any way, or am I missing something here?

I've got to say that I'm quite happy with openwrt's QoS (apart from crashing). It works as I imagined and was hoping for.
In my humble opinion Gargoyle and other GUI front-ends are very important for openwrt project. It just seems to work better than dd-wrt, but I and probably many others just can't use console to set it up. That's where you come in. Keep up the good work!

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

It's not too hard to build yourself.

Just follow the Documentation -> Developer Documentation page

All you really need is:

1) Fresh install of Ubuntu 10.10 or 11.04
2) Do a full install of the Ubuntu
3) Prep your system as per Developer Documentation
4) Download latest Trunk via OpenWRT wiki documentation
5) Compile!

Not hard, you can even do it via a VM if you don't have an extra PC.

I'm compiling on an old dual-core laptop and once I get the
compiling going, I leave it overnight and check it in the morning.

If you see any fixes in trunk and want a compile - let me know
via a reply here or a PM and I'll compile a new trunk build.

dogcrumbs

Post by dogcrumbs »

Sorry everyone - i hope i'm not taking over this thread or anything like that - and maybe i should start a new thread - so please forgive me if i've gone about this the same way. This post is about as close as a post to what I have and am looking to set up. (as the original poster was attempting to install Gargoyle over dd-wrt). I have read through the forum but am still a little bit confused. I have a Asus WL-500G Deluxe router with DD-WRT installed on it, so i know a *little bit* about flashing routers. (just enough to make me dangerous!) I'm looking to install Gargoyle on top of that. I'm just confused as to what file exactly i need to flash. One post i saw said i can directly flash the .trx file - but this thread looks like i should be using a .bin file. I have tried to read around - i'm sure the info is here somewhere. Please again forgive me if the answer is stinking obvious and i'm just missing it. I'm not trying to be lazy - i'm just a bit confused. Any help? Thanks...

dogcrumbs

Post by dogcrumbs »

sorry, i know it's only been a couple of days since i posted above, but i'm trying to get this Gargoyle project down by tomorrow and was looking for advice. Should i re-post my original post (right above this post) as a new thread? Would that make it easier to get answered? Thanks for any help you can give!

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

dogcrumbs wrote:sorry, i know it's only been a couple of days since i posted above, but i'm trying to get this Gargoyle project down by tomorrow and was looking for advice. Should i re-post my original post (right above this post) as a new thread? Would that make it easier to get answered? Thanks for any help you can give!
You can try this version in the download section:

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/download ... uashfs.trx

Again - its a try - have a way to serial or tftp recover just in case.

And I think I read a post where USB storage is not setup/enabled
for Broadcom based routers. I.e. you may get Gargoyle working
on your router, but your USB may not work at all on the router.

See this post: http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... f=8&t=1638

dogcrumbs

Post by dogcrumbs »

Thanks a ton! I really appreciate the help and looking up some of that info for me. I'll give it a go... right now i'm not using the usb option anyways - and Gargoyle's options to manage bandwidth seems to be a huge advantage.

Thanks again!!!

Nerd

Post by Nerd »

I can confirm that Gargoyle is running stably on WRT160nl albeit without some (very worthwhile) fuss. Bricked it from ddwrt but managed to CPR it with tftp.

It was set up as a client bridge / vpn on ddwrt since they supported it and like many on the forums there, I experienced consistent wireless dropouts after about 6-9days or after high speed transfers. Tried all their releases but eventually they all suffered the same fate.

Despite this it performed way better than other broadcom units, with the help of upgraded 5db antennae. Almost gave up hope until I tried 1.4.7 and it behaves similarly without the dropouts or even when it does cutoff of choke, it self stabilizes without a reboot.

Specific 11g does not work, neither does AP wireless dhcp VPN client mode, so I have it on simple repeater mode with limited configuration. USB Storage works beautifully but its far more stable than ddwrt. Good work.

Caldeus

Post by Caldeus »

I have bricked my router exactly like Wisse did... flashing gargoyle seemed to be successful but then the Linksys WRT160NL router didn't reboot.
Could you please help me with a detailed instruction how I could recover my router? What kind of cable do I need, etc? Is it possible to flash gargoyle on the router or I should go back to dd-wrt?