Stability of Gargoyle (1.3.14 ) on TPLink WR1403ND ??

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

fidjit

Stability of Gargoyle (1.3.14 ) on TPLink WR1403ND ??

Post by fidjit »

I've had heaps of Internet dropouts and wireless drop outs over the last couple of days :o

So unreliable that I've had to go back to my WRT54G V2.2

Any comments from those running it on a WR1043ND on this ??

I'm about to do a reflash to see if that assist but would welcome feedback if I'm just wasting my time due to early experimental rom.
Last edited by fidjit on Tue May 24, 2011 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

doritos

Re: Stability of Gargoyle on TPLink WR1403ND ??

Post by doritos »

Yep, I also had these connection drops. On 05-19, nbd (openwrt developer) merged some fixes to the ath9k driver that made the things much more stable for me.

So my advise is to wait a new build based on the latest backfire source or build your own (it's really easy)

If you want to build from source, follow the developer procedures on http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/dok ... umentation, but before you do the "make ar71xx" command, edit the full-build.sh script, locate the OpenWrt revision number and set to a newer number (26972 seems very stable for me)

fidjit

Post by fidjit »

Thank you for reply.

I'll admit, I found Gargoyle looking for something to monitor my kids internet usage. I had an old WRT54G V2.2 in the cupboard that's had all sorts of firmwares on it. I ran up Gargoyle on it to see what it was like and if it did what I wanted. After 2 hours of operating I figured it was and loaded onto my WR1043ND. Then over the next couple of days had nothing but family telling me that their internet wasn't working :roll:

I've since put back the WRT54G and for the last 3-4 days it hasn't skipped a beat. I could probably just leave that there, but would like my N wifi back for streaming etc.

I have no idea building my own distribution, so I guess I'll let the WRT54G do the work for the time being awaiting the next version for the WR1043ND. :oops:

Thanks for feedback again.

doritos

Post by doritos »

Later I'll share my build here and you can try. I had the exact same issue.

Btw, beware that by default, openwrt is configured to not start 40Mhz if you have overlapping neighbors, so unless you change a setting in the command line, you won't get true 300mbs N speeds.

fidjit

Post by fidjit »

Thanks Doritis again for reply.

Going back to the WR1043 will give me:

1. Gigabit wired for my download/NAS machine
2. Faster Wifi ( doesn't matter if I'm not getting full speed but it is fasterthan me old WRT )
3. About 1/3 faster download off the net according to speedtest.

So nice to have but not at the expense of stability
;)

doritos

Post by doritos »

Here is it.. seems very stable for me (not using as primary router yet, but much better than previous versions)

http://www.4shared.com/file/sWCh2XUu/ga ... 1043n.html

fidjit

Post by fidjit »

Thank you.

I am downloading now and I'll give it a shot when I get a chance ( though since the WRT54g is stable not overly urgent)

Appreciate the help :D

AgeOfGargoyles

Re: Stability of Gargoyle (1.3.14 ) on TPLink WR1403ND ??

Post by AgeOfGargoyles »

Mine is quite stable and reliable on the WR1043.

fidjit

Re: Stability of Gargoyle (1.3.14 ) on TPLink WR1403ND ??

Post by fidjit »

Finally got time to reinstall Dorito's firmware.

Made sure I did lot's for resets on the stock firmware and a couple after I reinstalled Gargoyle.

Now been up and running or 3 days with no wifi issues :D

All the graphs and connected hosts run fine under Chrome as well :)

Many thanks for uploading this Dorito !!!

( p.s. of course 1.3.15 is released today...decision whether to upgrade or leave awaits me...... :lol: )