Gargoyle on ProxMox - Passthrough a device

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

stuartbh

Re: Gargoyle on ProxMox - Passthrough a device

Post by stuartbh »

RomanHK wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:46 pm
The default is Polish, but you can switch the language to English and other languages can be installed.
I was able to get it installed and booting, changed the language to English and got the iwlwifi driver for 8265 / 8275 WiFi card installed via opkg. Moreover, it is now loading the driver as instantiated by lsmod and I think I have the device showing up now as wlan0!

Thank you.
Last edited by stuartbh on Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

ispyisail wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:03 pm
Is there an English version of this website?
Use Google translate
You silly rabbit! I was asking if there was an already constructed English variant of the website, not how to translate it! You would be well served to read more carefully what people are actually articulating!

Thanks for the info, since as you are aware, very few people have ever heard of Google Translate!
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Oh dear, how to win friends and influence family.

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

Oh come on, everyone realized you were being sarcastic about posting Google Translate. So, I just followed up with a sarcastic response.
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

This is a straight comment.

I'd be very surprised if Lantis isn't upset by some comments above.

Lantis might even tell me off for posting this, feeding the trolls.

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

I wasn't offended and neither were you, it is all fine.

I always tell people: if you want to offend me, be prepared to work hard at it as I have rather thick skin. :)
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

RomanHK,

When I boot the environment I am able to type in lsmod and see the drivers, I am able to type ifconfig -a | grep -i wlan0 and see the device. It seems to be part of the br-lan so that is the way it seems it can be accessed.

However, it seems not to be transmitting at all anyway, so I think using this edition is a bust and I just wasted a bunch of time on this version of it.

Any ideas?

It seems that using Gargoyle on a virtual machine and wanting use the very popular and common Intel wireless card is just not going to work and is not really supported. I give up. It looks like I will be forced to abandon Gargoyle if I want to run it in a VM and expect it to support common hardware. Oh well, DD-WRT and OpenWRT are quite capable of it.
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I apologise that the default x86 image doesn't meet your needs or expectations.
It isn't stated anywhere that it has wireless capability. It was born from the ALIX profile which is a wired only device subset. I did that just to give it a bit more usability and utility (i.e able to support more than just 1 or 2 very rare and old devices).

I do not have an x86 device with wireless capability, and therefore:
- I have no way of testing viability of including wireless drivers
- I have no personal interest in doing so (it doesn't help me!)

It is also impractical to imagine that i (or anyone else) would have a device that has every type of wireless device in it. So, how do we decide what drivers to include and which ones not to? We can't practically test all of them.

This is an open source project. You (or anyone else) have the ability to download the source, customise it, include the drivers you want, test it, and let someone know if it works (or doesn't).
If someone sent me a pull request tomorrow which included iwlwifi by default and said "i've tested this and it works great", i'd merge it in a heartbeat (assuming they're not talking rubbish).
If next week someone sent me one saying that ath10k works as well, i'd merge that too.
What i'm getting at is, the community (that includes you) can't just sit there with your hands out and stomp your feet when it doesn't work. Help me to help you.

If someone wants to help:
- https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargo ... /README.md
- https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargo ... IBUTING.md
- https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/do ... umentation

If that doesn't work for you, you can try taking it up with Eric if you like. He may be more or less sympathetic to the issue and may have more time to look at it than me. He's the authority. I just took this up as a hobby.

Now administratively, please keep the posts kind and on topic.

One final note: iwlwifi appears to only support AP mode in 2.4GHz (not 5GHz) in linux. So make sure you measure your expectations before going further with the ddwrt or openwrt routes.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

stuartbh wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:55 pm
RomanHK,

When I boot the environment I am able to type in lsmod and see the drivers, I am able to type ifconfig -a | grep -i wlan0 and see the device. It seems to be part of the br-lan so that is the way it seems it can be accessed.

However, it seems not to be transmitting at all anyway, so I think using this edition is a bust and I just wasted a bunch of time on this version of it.

Any ideas?

It seems that using Gargoyle on a virtual machine and wanting use the very popular and common Intel wireless card is just not going to work and is not really supported. I give up. It looks like I will be forced to abandon Gargoyle if I want to run it in a VM and expect it to support common hardware. Oh well, DD-WRT and OpenWRT are quite capable of it.
To put the WiFi card into operation, you need to install the drivers + firmware for the card:

Code: Select all

gpkg update
gpkg install kmod-iwl-legacy
gpkg install kmod-iwlwifi
gpkg install iwlwifi-firmware-iwl8265
gpkg install hostapd-common
gpkg install iw
gpkg install iwinfo
gpkg install kmod-cfg80211
gpkg install kmod-mac80211
gpkg install wpad-basic
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

RomanHK,

What is the difference between opkg and gpkg? I was using opkg. Are they the same thing?

I installed all this stuff and it made zero difference. In the end the wireless network never showed up on the air and not a single device ever saw it broadcast an SSID. I appreciate all the assistance but clearly this is a bust and turned out to be a huge waste of effort.

Thank you for your help.
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist