Gargoyle on ProxMox - Passthrough a device

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

stuartbh

Gargoyle on ProxMox - Passthrough a device

Post by stuartbh »

Forum members,

I downloaded and got booting the 1.12 version of Gargoyle in a ProxMox VM today. Yet, after adding my NUC's WiFi card to the Gargoyle VM it did not show up as available after rebooting the VM. I did try using the same pass-through technique on a Debian testing VM and the WiFi card showed up no problem, so I know the ProxMox pass-through is working as it should.

Gargoyle seems not to be loading a driver for it. Any ideas?
Last edited by stuartbh on Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

Lantis

Re: Gargoyle on ProxMox - Passthrough a device

Post by Lantis »

What's the wifi card manufacturer/model?
Are you able to see what driver proxmox loads? That might give you a hint as to what is required.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

The WiFi Card manufacturer is:
Intel Corporation Wireless 8265 / 8275 (rev 78)

It does seem that Gargoyle is not loading the correct driver, which is : iwlwifi

This was the same driver that Debian testing loaded after I added the card to it.

# dmesg | grep -i iwlwifi
# cd /
# find . -name '*wifi*' -print
#
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I'd hazard to guess that iwlwifi isn't included in the build by default. Have you tried installing it (or compiling it in which is more likely)?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

And that is exactly what I have asked for many times here on the forum.

:( Unfortunately, Gargoyle does not support the storage of kernel modules and other drivers as is the case with OpenWrt. If you build your own hardware and want Gargoyle on it, you are forced to compile your own build, where you add drivers to the build. :cry:
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

First let me start out by saying thank you for all your hard work in creating Gargoyle!
Lantis wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:11 am
I'd hazard to guess that iwlwifi isn't included in the build by default. Have you tried installing it (or compiling it in which is more likely)?
That said, well of course not, why would I or anyone ever presume that the most common WiFi driver for x86 systems is missing from the x86 Gargoyle image? You may feel that such a comment is not a fair characterization, but it is essentially correct as best I can tell.

I have not setup an entire build environment for Gargoyle and would say that whilst that might be a useful and interesting thing to do, I have a very small amount of free time for that at this point. So Gargoyle for x86 is of zero value as an out of the box solution for me (for use as an x86 VM anyway). I would highly suggest that this module be added into the x86 distribution and be part of the standard build for x86 or be made available as a plug-in for Gargoyle.

By the way, if I were going to sit and learn how to build Gargoyle, I'd see greater value in trying to get it working and built so it could run on older Cisco hardware (which is x86 based). Cisco ASAs (for example) are a dime a dozen and contain a wonderful amalgam of hardware in them just waiting to have their firmware replaced. Cisco no longer supports or updates the firmware for many ASAs and so Gargoyle would be a wonderful replacement firmware. Granted, most Cisco ASAs have no WiFi in them, most do have USB ports and I'd venture to think an USB WiFi stick could be easily added. An ASA 5505 (for example) has 8 network jacks on it, 1 serial port and 2 USB ports and sells for about $25! Oh, and they are x86 based too. Granted, this would also mean that I'd have to figure out how to "pack the binary" into the Cisco .bin format that it uses to boot Linux from. There are scripts about the Internet on how to do this, so figuring it out would not be a from scratch recipe per se.

Is there a step by step how to on building Gargoyle for x86 and what is required to add the missing WiFi driver to it?

I understand that RomanHK's comment "If you build your own hardware and want Gargoyle on it" is a bit of a specious expectation that Gargoyle should support whatever that fill in the blank hardware might be, but, x86 is very common stuff and the most basic WiFi driver for x86 should be part of the standard x86 distribution.

Please do realize that when you hear people frustrated trying to get Gargoyle working on some target platform that such a desire is rooted in the fact that people find Gargoyle so useful and capable that they want it on other platforms and target hardware!

Thank you for reading and considering my commentary.
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

:idea: Just such an idea - you can also try Gargoyle PL: https://dl.eko.one.pl/gargoyle-pl/, where the driver and firmware installation should work for you.

Gargoyle PL has its own storage for drivers and kernel modules. That's really big + 8-)

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

RomanHK wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:36 pm
:idea: Just such an idea - you can also try Gargoyle PL: https://dl.eko.one.pl/gargoyle-pl/, where the driver and firmware installation should work for you.

Gargoyle PL has its own storage for drivers and kernel modules. That's really big + 8-)
Is there an English version of this website?

I was unable to find what to download and 99% of it is in Polish (obviously I speak nor read/write zero Polish).
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

The default is Polish, but you can switch the language to English and other languages can be installed.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Is there an English version of this website?
Use Google translate