Unable to get firmware onto TP Link Archer A7 v5

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

staque

Unable to get firmware onto TP Link Archer A7 v5

Post by staque »

I am attempting to flash gargoyle_1.12.0-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v5-squashfs-factory.bin onto my TP Link Archer A7 v5 to no avail. I was able to use a C7-specific OpenWRT build, so I know that at least that C7 firmware works on my A7. However, I'm having difficulty with Gargoyle.

First, I attempted to use the built-in web interface to upload new Gargoyle firmware, but this resulted in the error "Invalid file type." I did not receive this same error when flashing OpenWRT - that worked as expected.

I then attempted to use TFTP using the process described at [openwrt].[org]/toh/tp-link/archer_a7_v5, which also failed. I observed the request succeeding with Wireshark and I know the router received the firmware file. However, after doing its thing and rebooting, it was just stock firmware again - the Gargoyle firmware seems to have been ignored/rejected by the router.

Any insights on how to get this to work?

Lantis

Re: Unable to get firmware onto TP Link Archer A7 v5

Post by Lantis »

What OpenWrt version have you tried that works?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

staque

Post by staque »

I was successful with openwrt-19.07.6-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-a7-v5-squashfs-factory.bin. Which I realize now is actually A7-specific, so my prior assertion about C7 firmware working may not be entirely correct. (Sorry, it's been a long day trying to wade through everything.)
Last edited by staque on Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I'll start by saying that i don't recommend trying to "cross-flash" any device. If OpenWrt provides separate images for devices, it's usually for a good reason.
Looking at the two devices, they are remarkably similar. They're probably the same. I'd almost guarantee that the main difference is that the factory firmware expects a certain header (probably containing A7 instead of C7) and hence why flashing is blocked. Probably a different flash layout as well.

IF (big if) this was going to work, you'd want to try an image from the 1.13 branch. There's a big difference between ar71xx and ath79 (the latter being the successor). There's also a large difference (> 2 years of development) between the 1.12 and 1.13 branches. Risks include nerfing your ART partition and losing wifi calibration (and it never working properly again). Full brick is unlikely but you're playing with fire.

For the best results (and a much higher success chance), i'd just compile the right image from the Gargoyle master branch :)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

staque

Post by staque »

Thanks for your responses. Can you point me to a guide to compiling the right image? That's a new one for me.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Lucky for you, i enabled the Archer A7 in August last year, and the community has provided a fresh built in the last 24 hours which you could just try :)

https://gargoyle.romanhk.cz/1.13.x/1.13 ... ges/ath79/

staque

Post by staque »

Thank you! I was not successful in using the web interface to update the firmware from stock, but I was able to TFTP it onto the router. It's up and running now.