Mini router default password not working

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

LoyLT

Mini router default password not working

Post by LoyLT »

Bought a couple of the mini routers with Gargoyle preinstalled a little over a year ago, and haven't used them in a few months... Now I can't get into them, the default password "password" isn't working, even after holding reset for 10 seconds

Lantis

Re: Mini router default password not working

Post by Lantis »

If you can't trigger a reset by holding the button for ten seconds, then you should try the failsafe mode.
From there you can either reset the device or just change the password.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NqHpRHl8gQ

Use SSH instead of telnet if the device was running a version 1.10 or higher.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

LoyLT

Post by LoyLT »

no luck... the lights on the GL-Inet AR150 don't blink like the video says...

When booting normally, the middle light comes on for a brief half second, then the right light, then the left light stays on for 5 seconds, then the right light comes on and stays on. 35 seconds after the right light comes on for good, I can ping 192.168.1.1, and another 30 seconds later the left and middle lights come back on. (The left light flashes when lan activity).

I've tried tapping the (only) reset button at various times... sometimes it simply freezes the router (and i never get a ping or putty connection even 5 minutes later), and other times it does nothing and continues on its normal boot.

I've also tried holding down the button while inserting the power cord (as mentioned on GL-Inet's website) with the only useful result being if I release the button somewhere between 5-10 seconds, I can access a web-based firmware update utility (something called u-boot?).

Should I try flashing with a gargoyle v1.12 sysupgrade.bin image I see available for the gl_ar150 ? would a sysupgrade image reset the password like I'm wanting? or is there another option? I don't see a factory.bin image available

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

LoyLT

Post by LoyLT »

It isn't exactly bricked, I just need to reset the password. I can already get to that screen and know HOW to flash...

***re-read my last post***

I was asking if the "...sysupgrade.bin" was the correct firmware to use from the uboot screen, and whether flashing the firmware with a "sysupgrade" would reset the password for me... Can someone confidently say yes to both questions?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Don't know the answer to the uboot question.
Sysupgrade will reset the password as long as you don't preserve settings.

Looking at their uboot recovery instructions, it sounds like it is the right method, but I honestly don't know.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

Let me remind you that by default in Gargoyle the password is set to: password
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users