Connecting to other Gargoyle routers WAN

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

dory52

Connecting to other Gargoyle routers WAN

Post by dory52 »

Hi, I managed to install 3 different routers on Gargoyle in my big house , and monitoring everything perfectly and everything is running perfectly , BUT i can't access any of them from my desktop or fixed PC , i have to hook on everyone of them and dial IP because they all in different IP subset , how i can remotely access different router connecting to wan ?

SETUP
FTTH ONT ( ISP ) 192.168.100.1
LAN-WAN
R7800 ( Main ) 192.168.1.1 -----> My PC 192.168.1.2
TL841n (2nd) 192.168.20.1
Tl740nd (3rd) 192.168.30.1

i want a simple way to connect these router page ( WAN address ) from my PC ?, how i can do that ? :)

ispyisail

Re: Connecting to other Gargoyle routers WAN

Post by ispyisail »

you could use "openVPN"

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I'm not sure I get the diagram. Are you saying that behind your ONT you have a LAN, with 3 routers connected to it using their WAN ports?

If so I'd suggest static routes but I'm not sure I get your setup.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

dory52

Post by dory52 »

No, setup as follow, all routers you all said that I must use its wan port for every bandwidth control and quota to work!

ONT - - -> lan to router 1(wan port)

I have 2 other wall plugs connected to (lan2) on ONT via switch.. With these 2 sockets I had another 2 APs...

As I said b4 I wanna connect these different routers from one place, is there away?

Also please why I am getting so weak wifi On gargoyle compered to stock firmware!! Is there away to make it better?!

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Can i suggest a new network architecture?

ONT (lan port 1) --> Router 1 (wan port)
Router 1 (lan port 1) --> Switch (lan port 1)
Switch (lan port 2) --> wall plug --> Router 2 (lan port)
Switch (lan port 3) --> wall plug --> Router 3 (lan port)

Router 1 configured as gateway.
Routers 2 and 3 configured as "Connect Via: Disabled", with DHCP turned OFF.

Router 1 handles all DHCP and network monitoring for the entire network. The entire network is on a single subnet and you have no connectivity issues between any devices.

If this works, you can then look at bridging the WAN port and gaining an extra port for use.

Once you have tackled this, then we can look at WiFi. One at a time as i think you don't have the fundamentals sorted at this stage.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

dory52

Post by dory52 »

Lantis , Thanks
i will configure it and will let you updated ..

dory52

Post by dory52 »

Lantis wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:48 am
Can i suggest a new network architecture?

ONT (lan port 1) --> Router 1 (wan port)
Router 1 (lan port 1) --> Switch (lan port 1)
Switch (lan port 2) --> wall plug --> Router 2 (lan port)
Switch (lan port 3) --> wall plug --> Router 3 (lan port)

Router 1 configured as gateway.
Routers 2 and 3 configured as "Connect Via: Disabled", with DHCP turned OFF.

Router 1 handles all DHCP and network monitoring for the entire network. The entire network is on a single subnet and you have no connectivity issues between any devices.

If this works, you can then look at bridging the WAN port and gaining an extra port for use.

Once you have tackled this, then we can look at WiFi. One at a time as i think you don't have the fundamentals sorted at this stage.
Hello again,Lantis
I figured all a you said and everything runs perfectly but still weak WiFi signal of max 20db on all routers ..all 741n,840n,and specially R7800 had a very strong wifi compared to stock firmware before installing openwrt--->Gargoyle !!
i noticed also that 5ghz on R7800 is very weak among all devices used to work before on this bandwidth ,it wored before across the house and also the roof,moreover i only managed to make 5ghz work on channel width 80Mhz and certain channel 36 ONLY!!
attached R7800 configuration page..
your recommendation :)

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

The internal WiFi chip of the 741n can max. 18 dBm and 840n max. 20dBm, you won't get more out of it!

The maximum WiFi transmission power depends on your country, eg the EU has a maximum of 20dBm for 2.4GHz: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... ree/db.txt
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

You'll need to host the config elsewhere and link it here sorry. Board attachments are full.