Could it be magic?!

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

chadycom

Could it be magic?!

Post by chadycom »

Let's see if anyone can explain this. I've googled a lot and couldn't find someone who had the same issue.

Back in August 2017, I had a Linksys 1900AC. I flashed it with ExpressVPN firmware and used it until Feb 2019 - all was good.
Feb 2019, I was done with ExpressVPN and decided to revert back, they gave me the 1900AC stock firmware - I flashed it and all was back in order.
Later on in April 2019, i flashed it with the magnificent Gargoyle Firmware that gave me great features i wanted. Everything was just smooth and the 1900AC worked like charm with Gargoyle.
October 2019 the most awkward thing happens all of a sudden, i just woke up one day to find my wireless off, i try to access my router and found it reverted back 2 firmwares to ExpressVPN!!!!
So i spent hours trying to bring it back to Gargoyle and I tell you it wasn't easy i almost bricked it many times trying many flashing and resets including 30 30 30 but finally i got the gargoyle back and things went back to normal until again....
Yesterday! I woke up to find that same problem again! That Router magically jumped back to ExpressVPN Firmware!
So i fixed the problem again and took me again many hours to do so but this time i contacted ExpressVPN tech support and explained what happened. They were surprised and confirmed they have never encountered a story like this before.

Who Can explain this phenomenon?

Lantis

Re: Could it be magic?!

Post by Lantis »

It isn't magic, your router has dual firmwares.
If you want to ensure that Gargoyle is on both of them, you should flash it twice.

You do however have an issue (power outage? random reboots?) which is causing the router to fail to boot 3 times in a row and fallback to the alternate partition.
This is the real cause of your issue and what you need to resolve.

By the way, this method will help you switch between the main and alternate firmware easily.
https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_ ... wer_switch
In fact you should consult that entire article to become more familiar with your device.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

chadycom

Re: Could it be magic?!

Post by chadycom »

wow! interesting!
Thank u