Router storage full (read only)

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

foiltravis

Router storage full (read only)

Post by foiltravis »

My WRT32x running Gargoyle 1.12 keeps displaying the following message...

Router storage full (read only) or is mounted in volatile storage (RAM). It will not function correctly, or will revert to a previous state after rebooting. Restore default configuration or flash new firmware (without preserving settings)

Recently I read a topic where someone else had the same problem and based on information in that topic I did the following:
1. I rebooted the router - did not help
2. Powered off and rebooted - did not help
3. Formatted my usb drive to enable extroot - rebooted - did not help.

This error does not go away no matter how long I wait.

Any ideas?

Here is the output from df -h
root@Gargoyle:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 9.0M 9.0M 0 100% /rom
tmpfs 249.5M 192.0K 249.3M 0% /tmp
/dev/ubi0_1 92.5M 92.4M 0 100% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay 92.5M 92.4M 0 100% /
tmpfs 512.0K 0 512.0K 0% /dev
/dev/sda1 87.7G 746.2M 82.5G 1% /tmp/usb_mount/35625d90-bf0d-4422-a90b-10430856d214
Texas, USA
Netgear WNDR4300 / Gargoyle
Netgear WNDR4500V3 / Stock
Linksys WRT32X / Gargoyle

Lantis

Re: Router storage full (read only)

Post by Lantis »

You have filled your router, which is an impressive achievement on the WRT32X.

What have you done or installed that would be taking up lots of room?
Did you install a non standard program that might be writing logs to the flash memory?

Your only option is to reflash without preserving settings.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

foiltravis

Post by foiltravis »

Thanks for your help. I believe my configuration is stock. I don't remember adding anything. I don't have any tracking enabled unless it was done on the original build. The only thing I have configured is to assign static IP's. probably have 50+ addresses. A few weeks ago I noticed the memory error so I flashed the code to 1.12 which fixed the problem but it has now reappeared. Any way to figure out what is using the memory?
Texas, USA

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I would reset your router and start again?

foiltravis

Post by foiltravis »

I reloaded the router and memory use now reports 35%. I will keep an eye on it. Hopefully the problem won't come back :D
Texas, USA

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

If it happens again, an analysis of the largest folders on the flash will narrow it down.
They don't just fill on their own. 90MB is tonnes of space. Something is going rogue.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

bpant

Post by bpant »

Hello All,
I am facing the same problem with gargoyle_1.12.0-ramips-mt7620-y1-squashfs-sysupgrade

I always get this message
"Router storage full (read only) or is mounted in volatile storage (RAM). It will not function correctly or will revert to a previous state after rebooting. Restore default configuration or flash new firmware (without preserving settings)."

It does not go away despite restoring default to reflash

root@Gargoyle:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 6.5M 6.5M 0 100% /rom
tmpfs 61.1M 84.0K 61.0M 0% /tmp
tmpfs 61.1M 148.0K 61.0M 0% /tmp/root
overlayfs:/tmp/root 61.1M 148.0K 61.0M 0% /
tmpfs 512.0K 0 512.0K 0% /dev
root@Gargoyle:~#

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Your device must not have enough space to hold configuration. You might try compiling your own version with some packages removed and let us know if it works.

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

:?: Regarding this router: https://openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/lenovo/l ... fi_mini_y1
then both RAM and Flash are sufficient.

What amazes me is this line:

Code: Select all

overlayfs:/tmp/root 61.1M 148.0K 61.0M 0% /
I also had the same problem with the "Turris Omnia" router, where the f2fs driver is required, otherwise the overlay mounts to temp and is a temporary configuration.
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It depends on the block size remaining. The device image has been generated successfully so it "fits" with ~148kB spare. As soon as the device boots for the first time, initial Configs are generated and processes write their needed files. If you have less than ~3 blocks, this can result in an instant full router.

If you can build an image with another 50kB of space, it will probably boot fine, long enough to attach USB storage.

Someone with a device needs to find out whether a smaller image fixes it or if something else is required. Otherwise I'm just guessing and I'll just drop support to avoid producing a useless image.