Guest wifi when router is set to dumb switch

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Profiterole

Guest wifi when router is set to dumb switch

Post by Profiterole »

Hi, long story short, I put my old router(wndr3700) on the second floor to act as a dumb wired switch(with gargoyle 1.12). It works perfectly. I set a wifi AP for "normal" users and it works. But now, I'd like to set guest wifi, but it never connect/get ip.

Is this function disable when in dumb switch mode or it's me that a screwed up? Thank you

Lantis

Re: Guest wifi when router is set to dumb switch

Post by Lantis »

It does not work properly in dumb AP mode unfortunately, unless your dumb AP is handing out DHCP reservations.
So you might be able to set aside a small allocation in your DHCP pool to be managed by the dumb AP?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Profiterole

Post by Profiterole »

Thank you for your replie. If I understand correctly, actually, my router is 192.168.1.1 and my dumb switch is 192.168.1.2.

In my home network, IPs from 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.99 are reserved for statics ip and my main router dhcp serves 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199.

So, I could enable DCHP on my dumb switch and let it serves ip from 192.168.1.200 to, say, 192.168.1.220? That's it? Two dhcp servers but with different ip range?

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

I don't think it will work because there will be another gateway at DHCP #2.

:idea: Maybe manual configuration would help without using GUI?!?
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

In theory yes that is what is required.

The reason this happens is because the Guest Network is fully isolated. It is only allowed to access the internet, and to request DNS and DHCP from the AP. Nothing else.
Because your AP isn't the one doing DHCP, it's gets no response and never gets an IP.

I say "in theory" because I've never tried this configuration, but the logic checks out.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

heelbone

Post by heelbone »

Hello,
I have followed this thread looking to see if guest wifi works when in dumb AP, was wondering if Profiterole ever got it working? Im so newbie that Im afraid to mess something with my network by testing myself :(

Thanks for all your invaluable help and patience with us!

heelbone

Post by heelbone »

I just want to report that I tried the setup mentioned above and worked like a charm for my purpose! Once again thank you :D ;)

heelbone

Post by heelbone »

heelbone wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:49 pm
I just want to report that I tried the setup mentioned above and worked like a charm for my purpose! Once again thank you :D ;)
Im sad to inform that I came back a couple hours later to the AP and Im still able to connect to the main AP but not so to the Guest WLAN! It just wont assign an ip at all. It somehow fooled me as I had a smart plug and for the first few minutes after a reboot, I can reach it, but then it goes offline.

If anybody is up for examining my parameters, I would need help with what command to use to be able to capture them. Sorry for the false positive!