Resetting a softbricked WD mynet n600

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

helvetios

Resetting a softbricked WD mynet n600

Post by helvetios »

A few years back I installed Gargoyle onto a WD mynet n600 successfully but for some reason, I tried to go back to stock firmware and it didn't work so I left it in a somewhat Soft-bricked?? state. A couple of years later I then got it back to running Gargoyle but then messed up something and again I left it soft-bricked state.

Now though I want to try and get the router running but I don't know what to do as I'm techy but not that techy. I've tried to reset it to then go into the settings page with 192.168.1.1 (Is that right?) but nothing happens, it just errors out. The router lights up I assume as normal but I can't see any wifi networks from it so no idea where to start?

Thanks in advance.

RomanHK

Re: Resetting a softbricked WD mynet n600

Post by RomanHK »

1. Try reset button about 30s.
2. Try clearing the default settings (this should help) viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12205&p=55077#p55075
3. Try flashing again

If none of these options work, you will need to follow the steps using the serial link (https://openwrt.org/toh/wd/n600#serial_port).
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

helvetios

Post by helvetios »

Thanks for the reply.

IDK what I did differently but I seem to have it working.
Rest the router for the X time, changed my ip in windows and BAM it loaded up the web interface finally.

Seems to be working mostly with WiFi bar one weird issue that popped up and then went away.
Using my current netgear ISP branded router, I was getting a connection/disconnection loop when using WiFi on a Xiaomi phone but nothing else had this issue. Upon switching to the n600 router the Xiaomi phone connected just fine without the WiFi connection loop, but my Moto G7 plus then started to get it, but for now after forgetting the new network then reconnecting to it things are working thing.

I'm 100% sure right now without further testing but it seems like my ISP router has an issue (Hence why I wanted to get the n600 working) and hopefully, I can stick with a working install of Gargoyle until I upgrade my whole network next year.

tapper

Post by tapper »

Hi flash the latest Gargoyle to make it more stable. If you get stuck in a soft brick state again:
a.
Configure your computer's ethernet port to static IP 192.168.1.50 (really any address in the 192.168.1.* range except 192.168.1.1 is fine) and connect it to a LAN port on the router.
b.
If the router is turned on, turn it off.
c.
Using a paperclip, press and hold the reset button on the bottom of the router. While keeping this button pressed, turn the router on. Hold the reset button until the power LED starts flashing slowly (this takes slightly less than 10 seconds), you can release the reset button then.
d.
On your computer, open http://192.168.1.1 in a web browser. It should display a bare-bones upload page titled “Emergency Room.”
Select the -factory.bin file you downloaded earlier and press “Update.”
The router will now flash OpenWrt or Gargoyle and instruct you to not turn it off. This will take slightly more than three minutes to complete.
After the second reboot, your router should now running OpenWrt or Gargoyle. Continue to configure it to your liking, including setting up a root password. You can also reset your computer's network card to its previous settings.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260