Installing a USB wireless interface on Gargoyle router

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

shammikit

Installing a USB wireless interface on Gargoyle router

Post by shammikit »

Hello, i have managed to Install the x86/x86_64 version of Gargoyle on my old PC which I would like to use as a router. I have a wireless ISP router and I want gargoyle to access that through my USB WiFi adapter to get a working Internet connection ( i guess this is usually assigned as a WAN interface) and to use another WiFi adapter to use as an AP for wireless devices to connect ( i guess this is usually assigned as a LAN interface). I would like to know if this is possible and would like some guidance to set it up as this is my first ever Gargoyle setup. So far when i connect the 2 USB interfaces, they get detected as USB devices from the console as shown in the attached screenshots. They dont show up when i do the ifconfig or the ip addr command.

RomanHK

Re: Installing a USB wireless interface on Gargoyle router

Post by RomanHK »

If the devices do not appear, you may not have WiFi drivers installed. Gargoyle does not support WiFi USB dongle - you will need to upgrade to OpenWrt or create your own Gargoyle compilation.
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Can you provide some information about the make and model of the wifi adapters? This might help determine if the drivers are already included or not.

Additionally, once the wifi adapters are plugged in you may need to generate prompt the device to generate the wifi config.

Code: Select all

rm -f /etc/config/wireless
wifi config
With any luck, that will populate a file in /etc/config/wireless and everything will just start working... maybe. :)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

shammikit

Post by shammikit »

Lantis wrote:Can you provide some information about the make and model of the wifi adapters? This might help determine if the drivers are already included or not.

Additionally, once the wifi adapters are plugged in you may need to generate prompt the device to generate the wifi config.

rm -f /etc/config/wireless
wifi config
With any luck, that will populate a file in /etc/config/wireless and everything will just start working... maybe. :)

Hello, I have 2 USB network interfaces. Would like to get atleast 1 of them to work.

TP-Link TL-WN821N USB network interface

Prolink WG2000/R USB network interface

So far I have only tried the TP-Link interface and to know its model name i plugged it on to my Windows PC, went to device manager and found out that its model (or chipset i think) was RTL8192cu.
So in Gargoyle shell i tried the command:

opkg install kmod-rtl8192cu 
This gave an error stating it cannot find the package, however it is available at openwrt

Another thing i tried is by manually setting a git hub link for the driver at the plugins section. And when i did

opkg update
command, this did get downloaded but i dont think it was installed.

Really appreciate any help to get this running. Thanks

shammikit

Post by shammikit »

RomanHK wrote:If the devices do not appear, you may not have WiFi drivers installed. Gargoyle does not support WiFi USB dongle - you will need to upgrade to OpenWrt or create your own Gargoyle compilation.
does openwrt have the options for bandwidth limiting and setting quotas. those r the features i want to use.

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

shammikit wrote:does openwrt have the options for bandwidth limiting and setting quotas. those r the features i want to use.
Gargoyle excels in these features like QoS, monitoring, etc., that's why I like it - unfortunately (I'm sorry too :( ), the compiled kernel repository is missing - it would be good to ask for a repository for kernel modules (@Eric or @Lantis).

:idea: In this case, I recommend moving to colleagues from the Polish compilation, where you can also find the kernel module repositories that are part of the compilation: http://dl.eko.one.pl/gargoyle-pl/

This should already work:

gpkg update
gpkg install kmod-rtl8192cu
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

shammikit

Post by shammikit »

RomanHK wrote:
shammikit wrote:does openwrt have the options for bandwidth limiting and setting quotas. those r the features i want to use.
Gargoyle excels in these features like QoS, monitoring, etc., that's why I like it - unfortunately (I'm sorry too :( ), the compiled kernel repository is missing - it would be good to ask for a repository for kernel modules (@Eric or @Lantis).

:idea: In this case, I recommend moving to colleagues from the Polish compilation, where you can also find the kernel module repositories that are part of the compilation: http://dl.eko.one.pl/gargoyle-pl/

This should already work:

gpkg update
gpkg install kmod-rtl8192cu

Hello and happy New year. This did the trick. The polish compilation had the drivers and my USB interface was up and running in no time. I have setup the QOS limiters and quotas and they work the way I want. Thank you and @Lantis for supporting me.