Need help with WR841ND Version 7

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

skysurf76

Need help with WR841ND Version 7

Post by skysurf76 »

I have been searching on and off for a couple of weeks now trying to get information about installing gargoyle on my TP-Link WR841ND Version 7 router.

I have learned about the different builds of openwrt, i.e. backfire, kamikaze, white russian, etc. But I'm still confused on that. kamikaze is supposed to be the bleeding edge release, but from what I have found the trunk version is the only one that works on my router. I did get it successfully installed and running.

I tried to follow the install guide on this website but I ran into all kinds of errors when I was working with opkg trying to install everything in the instructions.

Additionally I see that there is a pre-made .bin for version 5 of my router on this website, but I've read that it won't work on my version.

Its taking every once of will power I have not to just start slapping different firmware on it to see what works. I want gargoyle bad, but I don't want to brick my router.

Any guidance or advice would be very very greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

DoesItMatter

Re: Need help with WR841ND Version 7

Post by DoesItMatter »

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl- ... 5D=wr841nd

Keep watching that page

The WR841ND Version 7 series is a work in progress

Support is being worked on, but it's not ready yet.

Also - Backfire is the version you are watching.

Kamikaze and White Russian are older versions which
WILL NOT WORK on your router - do not flash any of those.

Just have to have some patience, and as soon as OpenWRT
supports the router, Gargoyle should work on it soon after.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

BrendanWilding

Post by BrendanWilding »

I just bought a TP-LINK TL-WR841NDV7(7.2). Note that the version 7.2 is the same as 7.1 and it just has different firmware on it.

I have successfully put on OpenWRT by largely following this thread:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=26561&p=1. You will need to use Telnet\SSH\PuTTy and pscp - this is kinda covered in the thread and is strait forward.

Make sure you use Oneru's OpenWRT builds (http://oneru.dyndns.org/openwrt/) - I tried to use the 'official' one's off OpenWRT supported hardware wiki links but they seem to lack LuCi - the nice web interface to setup the router.

I have successfully setup LAN, internet and wireless on it (hence I can submit this post!), now I just need to install Gargoyle.

I am obviously new to all this - any recommendations appreciated!

Brendan

behappy

Post by behappy »

If not gargoyle supports yr router native try following this guide

BrendanWilding

Post by BrendanWilding »

behappy wrote:If not gargoyle supports yr router native try following this guide
Can't do packages because there is only ~750kb free and I need 2MB. Need a flash!