Gargoyle Pocket Router is a no go for 1.11.0

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

GarGreg

Gargoyle Pocket Router is a no go for 1.11.0

Post by GarGreg »

Hi, all. I've been working with many of the kind, helpful members of the community in the wireless section in the thread "FIOS + airport + router for monitoring "

Summary: 3ish weeks ago, I bought a gargoyle router from this site (the v2 pocket router) to support the ideas and forum and work here. The router came installed with 1.10 and I wanted the functionality of 1.11. After a fair bit of work, new code, and lots of work, I put 1.11 on the gargoyle router and it failed / made it inoperable. I did this knowing it may not work, and that's my responsibility.

However, the thing I want to bring up is that the gargoyle router (all of them, even the new one, I suspect) from this site is not compatible (?) with 1.11. This seems like it should be fixed in one of three ways:
1) Figure out a way to get 1.11 on the currently sold gargoyle pocket routers from this site (my preference and probably best, but perhaps technically impossible given hardware)
2) Put a note on the shop page and on the routers themselves that they will not work with 1.11 (and future versions as well, I suspect) and that they are locked in at 1.10. I would have bought a different router if I had known this.
3) Get a new router in the shop that does support 1.11

I did know that everything I was doing could have scrogged the router, but I did expect it would eventually work. And, certainly, I could have done something wrong, in which case I'd love to know how to get 1.11 on the router.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the help.

ispyisail

Re: Gargoyle Pocket Router is a no go for 1.11.0

Post by ispyisail »

This is a question for Eric

Eric is the project lead, owner of this web site and Shop.

The V2 router stopped being sold years ago but for some reason it started being sold again? The V3 router would have none of your problems for a few reasons. (up to date firmware and a OEM factory recovery method)

We are just community members like yourself.

p.s. If you have the patience, time and a serial cable we will get 1.11.x to work on your router.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I've pointed Eric to this thread for a technical answer.
He also controls the shop, so will be able to comment on the other parts of your query.

If he hasn't replied by the end of the week, I'll contact him further, or suggest you make contact via the shop.

Any outcome, we will get you going with a working router 1 way or another.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

GarGreg

Post by GarGreg »

ispyisail wrote:This is a question for Eric

Eric is the project lead, owner of this web site and Shop.

The V2 router stopped being sold years ago but for some reason it started being sold again? The V3 router would have none of your problems for a few reasons. (up to date firmware and a OEM factory recovery method)

We are just community members like yourself.

p.s. If you have the patience, time and a serial cable we will get 1.11.x to work on your router.
Ah! When I bought the v2 router that was the only one in the shop (just a few weeks ago). The v3 showed up relatively recently (for me).

I definitely have the time, patience, and I'll get a serial cable.

Thanks again for all the help (seriously).

GarGreg

Post by GarGreg »

Lantis wrote:I've pointed Eric to this thread for a technical answer.
He also controls the shop, so will be able to comment on the other parts of your query.

If he hasn't replied by the end of the week, I'll contact him further, or suggest you make contact via the shop.

Any outcome, we will get you going with a working router 1 way or another.
OK, thanks! He may be on vacation? So no need to bother him if so.

Thanks!

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

BTW that serial cable i suggested was just a random search

There are better options...........

Most people give up at this point so I didn't put to much work into it.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

The v2 re-appearing was an error. These are no longer being sold, and I've only gotten v3 orders, so I didn't realize that there was an error making it show up again. This has now been resolved.

The latest v3 firmware is available, it's just not labeled clearly (sorry!). You need to use the firmware for gl-ar150: https://www.gargoyle-router.com/downloa ... pgrade.bin

I'm testing the new patch for backwards-compatible support for the v2 now. Sorry for these issues, and the delayed response.