Using Gargoyle Router as Ethernet Switch and Wireless Extender

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

bobcov

Re: Using Gargoyle Router as Ethernet Switch and Wireless Extender

Post by bobcov »

riffraff wrote:I finally got the router configured so that I could log back into it after setting it up per the screenshots above - but I still can't get connected to the internet via the ethernet port.

What was strange to me was that I could see the router on the network using an IP scanner (Fing) but it couldn't find it's way out onto the Internet. Even when I turned on wireless (both as AP and AP+WDS) I still couldn't get to the Internet.

Sigh...
RR
Interesting. I have the same router, the same setup and the same problems. I cannot get out of the router from the Ethernet ports. Wireless works fine. IP addresses are handed out fine via wireless, but nothing happens for devices attached to Ethernet. Static addresses don't work either. I cannot ping a device with a static address from Ethernet or wireless on the upstream router.

bobcov

Post by bobcov »

Couldn't find a way to update my post with following:
Just discovered the WR1043ND 1.8 (running 1.8 Gargoyle, too) will not auto-negotiate with 100 meg devices. No link light. I put my laptop on, got a 1g connection, released and renewed, got an IP address yet I cannot ping the gateway or even the router on the same subnet. No DNS translation either. No firewall rules are active that I can see. I don't get how the laptop can get assigned dhcp through the ethernet ports, yet not be able to do anything else. This behavior is the same whether I use the WAN port for upstream or one of the 4 switch ports.

bobcov

Post by bobcov »

Solution: DD-WRT on an old Buffalo WHR-HP-G54. Exact same configuration, but it works. Upstream router in the WAN port bridged to the Ethernet ports, TV box in an Ethernet port. All devices, wired and wireless, working fine...except for the fact that this is an ancient router with only B/G wireless.