Using Gargoyle Router as Ethernet Switch and Wireless Extender

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

riffraff

Using Gargoyle Router as Ethernet Switch and Wireless Extender

Post by riffraff »

I have a TL-WR1043ND v1 running Gargoyle 1.10.0. I just pulled the router out of storage and upgraded the old version of Gargoyle that was installed because I want to add it to my network as both a switch (to plug in additional ethernet connections) and as a range extender for my wireless network.

I think what I want is the Gateway mode with Connect via "disabled" and the WAN set to "bridge to Lan". I can't get this to work though, and I'm a little confused by the Router IP address. My network is 192.168.0.X and I would like all devices which connect through the Gargoyle 'switch' to be on the same subnet.
What is the router address I should use? Should it be on 192.168.0.X or is it supposed to be on a different one (e.g. 192.168.1.X). If I have a static IP reserved via mac address for the gargoyle router on my gateway router, should that be the IP router address I use on Gargoyle?

I've read a number of similar posts but I can't seem to get it to work with my setup. Any and all advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
RR

Lantis

Re: Using Gargoyle Router as Ethernet Switch and Wireless Extender

Post by Lantis »

All of your assumptions are correct.
The Router IP should be within the 192.168.0.x subnet, and if you have already reserved it an IP upstream, you should set it to that.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

riffraff

Post by riffraff »

So I tried that configuration and with a cable in from my wired network to the WAN port, I was not able to access the rest of my network. I'm wondering if I need to do something special with the DHCP or other settings under "connection".

RR

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

So I tried that configuration and with a cable in from my wired network to the WAN port, I was not able to access the rest of my network.
This is the expected behaviour with a firewall.

Gargoyle is not designed for advanced networking.

If you keep all your devices on the same subnet things work much better.

riffraff

Post by riffraff »

ispyisail wrote:If you keep all your devices on the same subnet things work much better.
They are all on 192.168.0.x
What firewall are you referring to?

Thanks,
RR

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

If you want Gargoyle to work only as a switch + WiFi, set it as follows:
Set the IP addresses as follows:

Disable the DHCP server as follows:

As an example:
http://192.168.0.1 = your existing router (gateway)
http://192.168.0.254 = Gargoyle router as a switch (TL-WR1043ND v1)

Please note that traffic statistics do not work in this mode
(Bandwidth Usage and Web Usage).
Last edited by RomanHK on Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Try connecting to the LAN port first. The WAN port may not have been bridged in correctly.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

riffraff

Post by riffraff »

I finally got the router configured so that I could log back into it after setting it up per the screenshots above - but I still can't get connected to the internet via the ethernet port.

What was strange to me was that I could see the router on the network using an IP scanner (Fing) but it couldn't find it's way out onto the Internet. Even when I turned on wireless (both as AP and AP+WDS) I still couldn't get to the Internet.

Sigh...
RR

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Can you ping 8.8.8.8 from Gargoyle? And nslookup google.com? This configuration really doesn't have many moving pieces so it should just work.
The likely problems are:
- no DNS
- no default route

It would be great if you could share the results of the ping and nslookup and some screenshots of your configuration.

riffraff

Post by riffraff »

I'm not sure what is going on here. I now have internet connectivity. I configured the settings again same as before and moved the incoming ethernet cable from LAN to WAN and turned wifi off and on and off again. There was no rhyme or reason - I couldn't even get into the Gargoyle web interface from my wired laptop connection, but I could from my phone. And it seemed that even though I turned DHCP off, gargoyle turned it on again.
I can't seem to attach files ("board attachment quota has been reached"), but my screens looked the same as shown in RomanHK's post (before DHCP got turned back on). So now I'm going to try and use the router with my other devices and see how it goes. I'll report back after I've used it like this for a while (or if it goes off the rails before then).

Thanks,
RR