TL-WDR4300 TX Under Powered ?

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

GarGoy

TL-WDR4300 TX Under Powered ?

Post by GarGoy »

So when i set my region, Gorgoyle restricts my TX power
22db for 2.4Ghz
21db for 5Ghz
This alone is incorrect as im allowed 1000mw for my region, which i believe is 27db?
It gets WORSE tho... when i SSH into my WDR4300 and run

Code: Select all

iwinfo
for 2.4Ghz i get
Tx-Power: 17 dBm
for 5Ghz i get
Tx-Power: 19 dBm
Clearly something is WRONG with the firmware for this router/region?
I found this thread discussing cause & solution,
Unfortunately, TP-Link simply sets the bit to US mode on all devices shipped worldwide. The stock firmware ignores it and offers frequency and power choice based on the selected country code. OpenWRT however (as would a stock Linux kernel) respects the bit and applies a logic AND over the selected regulatory domain and the US regulatory domain.
Luckily, someone created a binary patch called reghack that replaces the in-driver US regulations with unrestricted ones.
https://forum.archive.openwrt.org/viewt ... =68351&p=2
Do you think technique link will work on gargoyle?

Upon further reading of the thread above the WDR4300 hardware might also suck!
Note: TP-Link saved a few cents on the 2.4 and 5 GHz power amplifier, which doesn’t even do more than 100 mW ( 20 dBm) on 2.4 Ghz and 63 mW (18 dBm) on 5 Ghz.
Disapointing.. My old WRT54G-TM used to push 27db no problems.
If i am hardware limited, what's a Gargoyle supported router with good TX power? (1000mw)
Thanks

Lantis

Re: TL-WDR4300 TX Under Powered ?

Post by Lantis »

I'm not really willing to discuss the reghack, except to tell you that it does not work with anything newer than Gargoyle 1.9.0 (and i'm not too sure about 1.7 or 1.8).

You'll also find the lack of adequate power amplifiers more rampant in the industry than you would like to think.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

I agree, too, about performance disappointment. The newer the product, the weaker the WiFi - maybe because the laws on performance in regions, power amplifier technology and other factors are changing. I would rather deal with OpenWrt, Gargoyle is not to blame.

TEST ONLY! (forbidden in my country)
I own a TP-Link CPE210 v1 and here is a performance of maximum 27dbm, but I have never achieved such performance (with OpenWrt CC, DD, LEDE, 18.06), maximum 23dbm. The original GUI in the US region showed 27dbm.

I have two theories.
1) OpenWrt drivers are so versatile that they can't excite the end amplifier to maximum or
2) Misleading advertising.

But, as I said, it is not allowed in my country, so I am not solving ...
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

GarGoy

Post by GarGoy »

If computer security researchers can legitimately publish Zero day exploits , i see no reason as to why wifi users cant legitimately discuss how to unlock the full potential of their device for use in within regulations. Especially if you live in the claimed "land of the free" with that treasured 1st Amendment...
Personally i hate the nanny state bullshit, & have never understood the need for organizations to play "corporate police". IF a user does abuse their product, they hold zero liability. eg knife manufacture not held liable for murder.
& From my examination of the rules, quite a few places support 27db & even higher.
So... WTF? why is this "taboo" subject?
Ironically we're all about to get blasted with 5G towers everywhere in the near future, but NO NO, you cant have your own high power transmitters :?
it does not work with anything newer than Gargoyle 1.9.0
May i ask the technical reason for this?
Surely if its something in the kernel/driver, it can be edited/re-complied?

IMHO, If Gargoyle. OpenWRT, DD-WRT etc fear the FCC shitting on them, the answer is to just host outside the US, not to cuckout. But again, i dont see how the US can restrict legitimate code/speech.

Right now my options suck
1. downgrade to an old router/firmware with security holes but high db
2. live with poor signal in some rooms of my house
3. try find a modern high power router, and hack the planet? (beyond my skill set)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I'm respecting the wishes of the project lead, who has previously (stances may have changed, it was some time ago) asked it not to be part of the firmware or discussed. I know that i had to jump through a lot of hurdles to get the region selection into the firmware in the first place and make sure it was done right. I'm also respecting the stance of the upstream OpenWrt project which does not endorse circumventing regulatory rules.
I'm not going to stop users doing anything. It's opensource. Google and be merry, but i choose not to help you with this one.
Aside, anyone who considers themselves a legitmate "security researcher" and still thinks its ok to publish zero day exploits is kidding themselves. Organisations who have not taken notice of repeated exploit disclosures are a different issue.

I don't live in the "land of the free" (you and i look at the same constellations), but what you need to be aware of is that there are only a handful of large governing bodies to do with EMF in the world, and the FCC is one of the big players. Due to the large amount of design, testing and manufacturing that comes out of the US, the fact they bend over backwards to appease the FCC (even when selling outside the region) is just a fiscal decision. Knee jerk reactions to FCC rulings by manufacturers have got us into the crippled position we are in today. By avoiding blatant advocating of "reghacks" or other methods that circumvent regulations, hopefully OpenWrt (and Gargoyle) can continue to fly "under the radar" per se, and not end up with a ruling to manufacturers saying "You must not allow any third party firmware to be loaded to your device".
Aside, 5G EME (whilst a relatively new area of study) has shown no ill effects (that i am aware of) to date. The higher frequencies that will be utilised by 5G almost certainly will not even penetrate the skin.

It doesn't work with newer versions because the original hack was written for much older kernels. I *think* it was written around the 1.6.2 days to be honest, but it probably still works around 1.8-1.9. Maybe.
It is also no longer necessary, as the user (in most cases) can set the appropriate regulatory country and have the correct (legal) transmission limits). If you happen to have a device which doesn't respect that, I think your complaint is with them.

If you want to figure out how to compile your own version of the firmware which works around this, by all means. We'd be happy to get you started on compiling firmware, but when you get to the point where you're looking for the magic reghack switch or relevant code, that will be where you'll need to look elsewhere.

Bonus option:
4. use additional APs to cover the blackspots
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

GarGoy

Post by GarGoy »

Fair reply, i appreciate you efforts getting the region selection into the firmware.
And your right, my issue seems to be more about TP-Links hardware implementation, than Gargoyle.
Also the assistance with complying would be very welcome if i chose to go down that path.

I can see the argument for wanting to "fly under the radar", but a crack down on firmware modding/locked roms, could arguably be a good thing...
IMO it would likely lead to open source hardware kits, & maximum Irony as the communist Chinese manufactures that DGAF become the beacon of free market capitalism lol.
Sure we would lose that convenience of just grabbing the stocked off the shelf product, but i believe from a security/privacy perspective, open source hardware is the future, as all the manufactures cuck to NSA etc.

Getting off topic, but what happens when "regulators" start dropping VPN & encryption bans... at some point we're going to need to give them the finger.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

That's a good point, and probably where we are headed.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Unifi radios are a good way of extending the reach of a Gargoyle routers

https://www.ui.com/products/#unifi

but yes, its annoying to have to spend more money.

P.S. if you go down the unifi route don't get sucked into buying there "gateway" it does the same thing as "Gargoyle" but is much worse. The pretty graphics suck you in :)