Gargoyle on D-Link 882

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

kabi

Gargoyle on D-Link 882

Post by kabi »

Hello

As the title said - I'd like to ask, if there is a chance to get a build for this router with MU-MIMO. Default Dlink firmware works, but I do miss graphs from Gargoyle.

I'm willing to give it a try if there would be build available for testing - dd-wrt seems to suggest the hardware should be supported - but I've not yet tested this wrt clone.

Lantis

Re: Gargoyle on D-Link 882

Post by Lantis »

I don’t believe it has Openwrt (and therefore Gargoyle) support.
A few weeks ago someone asked for support and was prompted to provide OEM boot logs etc to aid development and never did.

If you wanted support, I’d start there with Openwrt, then come back and see us when that is complete.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

kabi

Post by kabi »

So I made some research - noticed there are couple people discussing usage of this router with dd-wrt.

However then I've tried to actually install available dd-wrt image and I've failed - and it seems with firmware 1.11 D-Link has actually locked possibility to install something else then their signed firmware - well - going to return this one to shop I guess...

(Upgrade always failed in recovery mode for any factor.bin dd wrt image, while original dlink firmware passed...)

Any idea what's the good router with good price and Wifi coverage/speed and preferably USB3 and usable with openwrt ?
(I liked MU MIMO for 882 - but there is no way I could live with factory locked firmware)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I tend to recommend the Linksys WRT ac series, but they have a few downsides (IoT device incompatibility). But for raw speed and processing power they are very good, top of the line without going to x86 hardware as far as I know.
https://openwrt.org/tag/wrtacseries?do= ... rtacseries

The Netgear R7800 also looks promising, however we don’t support it with Gargoyle (yet... i would like to).

There isn’t any third party mu-mimo driver support as far as I know for any device**.

USB3 on a router is a bit of a strange feature. The CPUs typically aren’t fast enough to get the full benefit of USB3, typically not even surpassing USB2, so there isn’t much point. Additionally, USB3 operates at the same frequency as 2.4GHz wifi and is known to cause bad interference due to poor shielding practices by manufacturers. It can entirely knock out the 2.4ghz wireless on the device during data transfer.

**ddwrt has access to and packages proprietary drivers for some devices and therefore may have mu-mimo for some devices, but I don’t know.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

kabi

Post by kabi »

The Netgear R7800 also looks promising, however we don’t support it with Gargoyle (yet... i would like to).
Yeah - I've looked over this one before - it just had double price, but quite similar performance - but it looks like I'll need to go this way - looking over the net - this device looks like the one with some amount of openwrt developers.

I wanted USB3 to have it as a 'small disk server' as well and there is measurable difference of USB3 even on those slower CPUs - although I've not really watched out for performance drops of 2.4WiFi.

kabi

Post by kabi »

So I didn't want to give-up so easily (when R7800 really looks expensive for the jobs I want to get done) - and I got finally some result I've originally expected when buying this router.

So the key element was to find out Windows 10 box and upload dd-wrt via router's emergency mode through Windows Explorer - this really MADE the trick - so I've been finally able to install dd-wrt on DIR-882 router.

It've not seen for many years such troubles where I couldn't use Linux, but in this case none of my Linux browsers were able to upload firmware while on Windows it worked easily (piece of cake).

So ok - now I've dd-wrt running - what sorts of logs would be needed to move towards ability to install Gargoyle ?

Would be possible to install Gargoyle as some sort of package into 'dd-wrt' (my main interest is the nicely looking accounting - for reaming things I don't care much what sort of GUI is there - I've no problems using dd-wrt for the rest of configuration)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

kabi wrote:So I didn't want to give-up so easily (when R7800 really looks expensive for the jobs I want to get done) - and I got finally some result I've originally expected when buying this router.

So the key element was to find out Windows 10 box and upload dd-wrt via router's emergency mode through Windows Explorer - this really MADE the trick - so I've been finally able to install dd-wrt on DIR-882 router.

It've not seen for many years such troubles where I couldn't use Linux, but in this case none of my Linux browsers were able to upload firmware while on Windows it worked easily (piece of cake).

So ok - now I've dd-wrt running - what sorts of logs would be needed to move towards ability to install Gargoyle ?
Openwrt support is necessary before Gargoyle support is possible.
The thread where this was being investigated is here:
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/odds-of-tim ... 8/10725/13
And it has had recent movement, but nothing promising. You'll need to find a dev who is interested.
Would be possible to install Gargoyle as some sort of package into 'dd-wrt' (my main interest is the nicely looking accounting - for reaming things I don't care much what sort of GUI is there - I've no problems using dd-wrt for the rest of configuration)
No, Gargoyle is standalone and based on Openwrt, not dd-wrt. It can't be installed as a set of packages on Openwrt either.

kabi

Post by kabi »

Let's review this thread a bit.

I've bought a 2nd. used-one DIR-882 reasonably cheaply (~$45) for experiments. So now I can play well enough and not killing WiFi for anyone @home ;).

I've grabbed whole source from DLink pages for their firmware:
https://dlink-gpl.s3.amazonaws.com/GPL1 ... 306.tar.gz

I've tried to even build it - it went all down to creation of DIR882_uImage.img - not saying it's been smooth though - but the issue is the image installed in the router doesn't work yet for me.

But anyway - my question is - what would need to be copied into openwrt to get this working - where can I find anyone in any of those communities which would be willing to spend some time with me on this topic ?

It does look like all firmware files are in place - kernel drivers do look rather 'standard'. dd-wrt now even runs on 4.14 kernel - although I'm far from saying it works flawlessly :) compared to stock DLink firmware - it kind of 'works'.

So IMHO there is not so much missing to get this router working (which otherwise performs greatly) with clean openwrt.

I can spend quite some hours on it - but I need some helping person giving me some hints from time to time...

It also could be possible to even 'put' gargoyle GUI on top of dlink official firmware, only if it would be booting - but that likely needs console wiring to see what when wrong on booting my compiled image.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I've had a bit of a look around.

The MT7615 wifi isn't supported yet. It looks like it might be in the works in the mt76 driver space, but no sure how far away.

The router itself is also not supported in Openwrt. It isn't likely to gain support in Openwrt until the wifi driver is finished, otherwise it is largely pointless.
At which point someone could take the GPL sources and probably figure out what is required to get it going. The platform it runs on is already supported so adding the device should be "trivial" (i use that term loosely).

You could post on the forum or the mailing list, although like i said i don't think you will gain much traction until the wifi driver is completed. It would also be handy for someone (you?) to send the device to someone to make development easier.

Gargoyle won't go on the official firmware without some significant, time consuming, hacking.

kabi

Post by kabi »

Lantis wrote: The MT7615 wifi isn't supported yet. It looks like it might be in the works in the mt76 driver space, but no sure how far away.
I've moved a bit further after vacations - so now I've nicely working serial line console.

From what I've got from exactly one developer of dd-wrt forum (yep - only single response - others are just silent) - the latest builds of their kernel 4.14 can go and run without ANY MT kernel binary code/blobs/hacks - so it should be just plain kernel - plus some uploaded fw pieces - those are available from GPL Dlink sources as well. Yet this workable build is not really in public git tree...

But there is completely zero hints of how to built dd-wrt firmware from sources - so that's my next plan - to get my own dd-wrt build working of their tree - to just verify it...
Lantis wrote: The router itself is also not supported in Openwrt. It isn't likely to gain support in Openwrt until the wifi driver is finished, otherwise
ATM I'm not exactly sure what are difference between building setups for dd-wrt & openwrt - so I guess it will take some time to get through these (and IMHO quite wasted time - I'm not surprised, there is no big community around this - as rediscovering gazillion dirty tricks in compilation of source tree is not fun at all....)
Lantis wrote: It would also be handy for someone (you?) to send the device to someone to make development easier.
For me it's waaaaaay cheaper to buy something already working then sending anything to anywhere abroad :) Czech post is probably one of the most expensive on this planet ;)

My original point was - I wanted to spend couple hours here and there to fix 'tiny issues - not spending months on rediscovering hidden magic behind even compiling this thing - not really wondering there is so low progress (when one look at Synology devices, what they are providing nowadays....)

Anyway - if it would be motivation I can send $40 (which is what I paid for main 2nd.) somewhere to buy this Dlink by developer locally if that makes it any faster :) - IMHO it's very good router with excellent price/performance ratio - and hopefully not far away from having openwrt support :) so it can become 2nd. MU-MIMO 4x4 router after Netgear R7800 with openwrt support....