Linksys WRT3200ACM success

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

rdeis

Linksys WRT3200ACM success

Post by rdeis »

Easy, peasy, thanks much to all you who developed this thing.

I downloaded these two files from the gargyole download page:

gargoyle_1.11.0-mvebu-cortexa9-linksys-wrt3200acm-squashfs-factory.img
gargoyle_1.11.0-mvebu-cortexa9-linksys-wrt3200acm-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

Winzip tries to unpack and mount the .img file and fails, but that's OK. You don't want the files messed with, they get uploaded to the router as-is.

The linksys has an "upload firmware" page that looks very much like the ones other routers have which are shown on various youtube videos. I plugged in to the router with an ethernet cable, the uploaded the .img using that page.

In a few minutes, the router came back with the gargyole home page and asked for a login with the default password, again just like the youtube for some other brand of router shows.

Login, and upload the second file and repeat the process.

Then flip through the settings tabs until you find the one that lets you name the wireless network, set up the security, and turn the wireless back on.

Then I went to the connections/DHCP tab on the router management page, restricted the automatic IP range to make some space for static IPs and started setting static IPs for all the devices on my network. I'll use these static IPs for setting up QoS rules and upload/download quotas later.

It was intimidating at first, but the whole process has been very straightforward.

The kids are a little dubious about Dad setting quotas for their usage, but they like the fact that we can set up QoS rules to keep them from stepping on each other, and they'll have some say in how all that gets configured.

So, thanks again all. I'm very pleased and happy to have the quota capability, and especially the usage logging capability installed. I couldnt find usage logs like this in *ANY* commercial router package.

fifonik

Re: Linksys WRT3200ACM success

Post by fifonik »

> Login, and upload the second file and repeat the process.

What for?
After first file you already got gargoyle on it.
The second file would be required if you are upgrading from previous version of gargoyle.

rdeis

Post by rdeis »

Thats what the videos were all showing, so that's what I did. I assumed it was a patch?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

No. The only purpose for flashing twice is to put the image on both the primary and backup partitions, which kind of makes the backup redundant if they both contain the same thing ;)

Anyway, you’re here now. Enjoy :)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.