Gargoyle on Archer C7 v2?

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Oober

Re: Gargoyle on Archer C7 v2?

Post by Oober »

Thanks, gelliss, but no file or link exists anymore there. Do you remember what was the download link?

gelliss

Post by gelliss »

I was able to download it but it's a bit slow and you need to be signed in to the forums to see the archived downloads.

The direct link is: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=33649

The file name is ArcherC7v2_en_3_14_3_up(150427).rar It's a .bin file inside it.

I figured you'd be more comfortable getting it from the dd-wrt forum links that are archived than from some random place.

It took me a while to find it again.

Oober

Post by Oober »

Thanks gelliss and others. I just started using Gargoyle 1.10.

Actually my fw gave me no chance to downgrade to fw version you linked. For a risk I upgraded again to dd-wrt, then webrevert (which seemed to be the same version that one you linked), then gargoyle.

I will post my wifi experience after some days, the start is however promising.

gelliss

Post by gelliss »

Odd you had to go through all that but glad it worked. I hope the 5ghz works better but I never had problems with that on the TP-link firmware either.

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

Oober wrote:Thanks gelliss and others. I just started using Gargoyle 1.10.

Actually my fw gave me no chance to downgrade to fw version you linked. For a risk I upgraded again to dd-wrt, then webrevert (which seemed to be the same version that one you linked), then gargoyle.

I will post my wifi experience after some days, the start is however promising.
Do yourself a favor and jump straight to 1.11.x, which will be the next stable release within a couple months (or sooner).

I'm running 1.11.x on my Archer C7 v2 for the past 4 months, and it´s rock solid!

This is the thread with the latest build so far. Highly recommended.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11829

AR71XX is the one you should look at.

http://lantisproject.com/gargoyle_1.11.x_rc5/ar71xx/
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

Oober

Post by Oober »

gelliss wrote:Odd you had to go through all that but glad it worked. I hope the 5ghz works better but I never had problems with that on the TP-link firmware either.
Yes, 5GHz wifi seems also to work very well. I did not change because of bad wifi on stock fw, I just wanted more configuration options :D
d3fz wrote:Do yourself a favor and jump straight to 1.11.x, which will be the next stable release within a couple months (or sooner).

I'm running 1.11.x on my Archer C7 v2 for the past 4 months, and it´s rock solid!

This is the thread with the latest build so far. Highly recommended.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11829

AR71XX is the one you should look at.

http://lantisproject.com/gargoyle_1.11.x_rc5/ar71xx/
I stay waiting for a stable release. This Gargoyle version seems also to be rock solid and has enough configuration options in GUI. Does 1.11 version include some properties that are too attracting to wait for couple of months?

@moderators, this thread can be moved to ”Hardware / Installation Issues”-section since it states to have success stories with Gargoyle.

fifonik

Post by fifonik »

Does 1.11 version include some properties that are too attracting to wait for couple of months?
1.11 based on much newer OpenWRT version with many security issues fixed.
This is very important for devices that are exposed to public (through WiFi & WAN) IMHO.

Oober

Post by Oober »

Hi,

I just faced some occasional breaks of wifi at 2.4GHz and 5GHz. I just think I could give a try for a newer version. Is it possible to upgrade straight from 1.10 to 1.11? Or do I need just backup the settings, then factory reset and upgrade?

BR Oober

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It is highly recommended to not preserve your settings.
This includes not restoring a backup
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Oober

Post by Oober »

I have now used 1.11.rc5 for a month and this version really seems to be rock solid. Plugin repositories are missing, though.

Any timing forecast for publishing a new stable version?