WRT1200 help needed.

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

MickO

WRT1200 help needed.

Post by MickO »

Hi everyone.
I'm 8000 miles from my router.
I asked my remote helper for a router hard restart by using on/off switch. she didn't. She used the Blue Button and and what with various power restarts with on/off switch and power cable dis/reconnection, to try and get internet working again, the router is shagged.
From memory the BB switches the firmware, but only after power cycling in a certain manner. So what would the BB have done in this case. Any idea for recovery back to the working, if any, Gargoyle.
Cheers

Lantis

Re: WRT1200 help needed.

Post by Lantis »

The button is often tied to a "factory reset" function if the user held it down for too long. It sounds like this might have happened, in which case your helper is going to need to do a lot more helping to get it back up and running.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

MickO

Post by MickO »

Thanks the reply. She assured me it was only a second. Either way, nothing can be done, so servers and other systems are down for the next three weeks or so.
Don't completely follow why the BB would have wiped the config or firmware as it's so easy to fumble. Would have thought the reset button would have done that.
Will have to wait until my return.
Looks like I'm going to have to harden the system up with backup routers of some description and remote power cycling, if ever ever required.
Still pissed...

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It is supposed to be between 3 and 10 seconds to trigger. But who knows what actually happened. That’s up to the man on the ground to report.
The function is typically tied to the wps button where available as the number of routers with a dedicated reset button is quite low.

The other possibility is that in all the reboots it has switched to the alternate firmware partition.

Anyway, set it up from scratch.
Take a backup of the configuration once done, and then show the man on the ground how to restore the configuration.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

MickO

Post by MickO »

It crossed my mind about the firmware switching over. Pity there is no indication by LED, which one is in use. What I might do when she's there, is to whatsapp me a video of the startup light sequence, but there is little coverage in the comms location. I suppose a redundant LED could be enabled to show the primary firmware active. Possibly the WPS light?
As for getting someone on the ground in a domestic situation to recover this kind of failure mode, pigs might fly. 1st line blackbox mechanics only and that's at a push.
Oh well, onwards to next month and enjoy Bangkok and other places of ill repute in the meantime. However I have a question which I will raise another thread for. Thanks