Ubiquiti Routerstation Pro

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Trailblazer

Ubiquiti Routerstation Pro

Post by Trailblazer »

Gargoyle. Wow. Been looking for a firmware to do per-user bandwidth limiting, rewrite DNS to what I want them to use (for opendns.com servers)-heck it even does DDNS to register with opendns. Wow.

OK, so I'm trying to figure out what device to put behind a cable modem so that between 1 and 40 people can get access to the internet the way I want them to do it. I don't want to manage the ports they use (that's old thinking in my opinion), I think it's easier to do it from the piece of the pie standpoint (QOS).

Anyway, I've been looking at the Ubiquiti Routerstation Pro (shows up in the supported routers list). I can get one with a case and power supply for ~$117 on fleabay. It's 720Mhz proc with 128MB RAM. Should do the trick, I'm hoping. Wireless is handled by another device, so I don't have to have it on this one. I've read on this forum that support for the cool SR71 board is not included with Gargoyle, anyway.

So, can I run the Gargoyle on the routerboard without a wireless mini-pci card. Does anyone know? Can I use this really as a router between a wireless device and a cable modem. This would need to do DHCP, but will it do it without being an AP?

If this doesn't work without a wireless card in it, which one has been tested?

Thanks!
Netgear WNDR3700V2 Gargoyle 1.10.0
TP-LINK Archer C7 v4 Gargoyle 1.12

Trailblazer

Re: Ubiquiti Routerstation Pro

Post by Trailblazer »

Newegg will have the BUFFALO WZR-HP-G300NH on sale of 59.99 as their shellshocker tomorrow.
Available from 6:00PM - 11:59PM PT
3/9/11

Will that work reliably for multiple users? Thanks!

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

The Buffalo router should work well. I recommend installing 1.3.10 instead of the latest 1.3.11 for now, since a large number of bug reports (that I'm still trying to track down and fix) have been filed for the 1.3.11 release.

Trailblazer

Post by Trailblazer »

OK, Eric. I'll get the Buffalo and load up the .10 version. Thanks for the info!

I really like your software and appreciate your efforts! :mrgreen: