Assistance Needed on 1.11x RC1 x86/x64 Installation

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

bluegravy

Assistance Needed on 1.11x RC1 x86/x64 Installation

Post by bluegravy »

Hi all...

I have an old Dell PC with an i5, 4Gb RAM. I added a PCIe GigE board and a 32gb SSD flash drive and followed the Open-WRT forum post about installing LEDE to the "T" and cannot get Gargoyle to come up properly. So, I have a few problems/questions I need to work out...

-When booting and choosing Open-WRT the OS loads and eventually comes to the command prompt. I still have the PC connected to my router (WRT1900AC 1.11.x RC1) and confirm that eth1 gets an IP. I then run : "./uhttpd start" and then "./uhttpd enable" and receive no error messages, yet I still can't get into a GUI anywhere. Even if I drop the IP addy assigned to eth1 into a browser to a another connected PC.

-I also cannot run lspci at the command line. Error states "lspci: not found". I just want to confirm all my hw is good to go.

Any other pointers or suggestions on how to get this installation up and running? I'm happy to provide any additional information necessary to help.

Thanks,

Andy

bluegravy

Re: Assistance Needed on 1.11x RC1 x86/x64 Installation

Post by bluegravy »

I also cannot ssh into the x64 machine on it's assigned ip address from my working Gargoyle router.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Make sure that the subnets do not conflict between the router and x86 machine. This could cause it to be inaccessible.

lscpi isn’t included by default, so this would be expected.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

bluegravy

Post by bluegravy »

Hey Lantis...I can't even get to a place to even configure anything. All I get is the IP address assigned to eth1 which is connected to my wireless router. That's where I need help. I need to set up the device as a router, etc.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Out of the box it comes configured with DHCP enabled on LAN, and configured to accept DHCP from WAN.
The LAN defaults to 192.168.1.1
Therefore, the upstream WAN can’t be in the 192.168.1.x range as this would cause a conflict. If you can’t access the router to change it, you either need to change upstream or disconnect it from this network entirely.

You also need to connect from the LAN side, not the WAN as this will be blocked by default for security.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I've got one of these on the way

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hystou- ... autifyAB=0

I'll have the same questions soon :)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Hopefully you can get it up and running and then you can be the expert!
I've never installed one so i'm kind of guessing :cry:

mojolacerator

Post by mojolacerator »

Make sure you are plugged into the right port for LAN, until you get used to which port is assigned WAN and LAN, I found even Openwrt was a bit awkward.

Eventually, i just took my windows laptop and plugged it into a port waited a bit, then typed "ipconfig" at the windows command prompt. If I didn't get a valid config, I tried the next port. Even if you get a valid config, you may have to reset the windows ethernet connection to flush out the old stuff.

Also be sure to clear the browser cache.

Let me tell you, it is well worth getting it going !!!!!
Gargoyle

i5-3550, 8gb ram, 120gb ssd

bluegravy

Post by bluegravy »

UPDATE:

I finally got my router up and running. I have about 20 years of experience installing/configuring linux machines and I was in that mindset here. I had a PC/Monitor and a linux-like OS. Once the Gargoyle installed I got to a command line and could not wrap my head around how to get into a gui or configure from the CLI. I thought about it for a day and realized there is no x-windows, or gui built in. DUH. So, once Gargoyle is installed you can pretty much turn off the monitor and then as Lantis pointed out, connect via the web interface at default 192.168.1.1.

During the setup process though, I was NOT able to access the connection tab. I would click on it and all I would get is a blank blue screen where there should've been all the configuration areas. I had to configure all the other tabs and reset the router multiple times and then magically it showed up when clicked. Odd.

Next, once I configured the rest of my network--I added an 8 port gige passive switch and converted my WRT1900AC to just a wireless AP. Several restarts later and I was good to go.

or so I thought....

The whole reason for this install was to have a router that could handle my 1gig service from my ISP. I jumped over to a known good speed test site for 1gige service and initiated a speed test. (I still had the monitor on and connected to the PC) Once the speed test got to about 200Mbps, I see the syslog scrolling on the monitor and watched the built-in gige LAN port on this Dell PC crash and reset itself. The speed test continued once the port came back up. I am able to reproduce this over and over again. It is using the e100e driver. So, tomorrow I plan on disabling the onboard LAN port and installing an additional 1GigE PCIe card in the last available expansion slot. I will then test again and see if anything resets. I should have that done sometime before Saturday night. Until then...

Thanks for reading...Andy

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

interesting

I wonder what the max speed is with this router

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/how-to-inst ... -x86/14601

I was hopeing for a Gig?