Pocket Router Failsafe - can't activate

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

tynewydd

Pocket Router Failsafe - can't activate

Post by tynewydd »

I have a relatively new (2 month old) Pocket Router from the online Shop. Love it - used it to limit my tenants insatiable desire for data. But now I want to change the settings, but I lost the password.

So I tried to follow the instructions pointed to from this forum to enter failsafe mode - but I have completely failed. Now at hour 6 of trying, I am highly suspicious that the pocket router reset button is not being looked at during boot properly and I'm certainly not like on many of the youtube videos and forum posts.

My boot sequence LEDs never "flash" until right at the end of the sequence when the outer green one flashes - but that appears to be too later. Until that Point I get -

1 Middle green for roughly a quarter of a second
1 Red Light solid half a second
1 Outer Green for perhaps half a second and then
1 Solid Red Light for perhaps 20 or more seconds
1 Outer Green for 0.5 secs
All three then light, sometimes the outer green or middle green flash

At that point I have a working system on 192.168.1.1 from my fixed address 192.168.1.2 computer on the LAN port that I can SSH to - but I don't have the password, of course - which is what i am trying to reset.

In desperation I have also tried Telnet -(both SSH and not) - but I get connection refused regardless of when I do it.

Pressing the button at assorted times during boot has odd effects like stopping the router completing boot (no response) but it never seems to do anything useful.

I tried monitoring with WireShark as the Internet suggested, but I never see the special UDP packets that OpenWRT is supposed to send out that read "Press reset now". In fact, I hardly see any traffic initiated from 192.168.1.1 until right at the end. Mostly I see my computer sending out "can anybody tell me who is on address x.x.x.x"?

So basically - I have a peeved user and family and nothing to show for a wasted evening. What is the secret of when to hold the button, how long to hold the button (some say quickly, some say 3 seconds, some say 10 seconds), is it a repeated pressing (some say yes), etc, etc for this particular bit of kit?

A virtual coffee to the one who can explain. :D

Adam

Lantis

Re: Pocket Router Failsafe - can't activate

Post by Lantis »

Have you watched the video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NqHpRHl8gQ

My suggestion would be that you need to repeatedly press that hardware button from the moment you power it on until you get sick of it. I can’t comment on the status LEDs not showing what you would normally expect as I don’t own one.

If you’re using 1.10.0 or later you should use SSH, otherwise Telnet.
Make sure you set a static IP in the 192.168.1.x range in either case.

Alternatively, once the router is fully booted, you should be able to hold the button for 10 seconds and release to trigger a failsafe reset from a running system. I’ve never personally tried this.
I just wouldn’t forget my password in future ;)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Re: Pocket Router Failsafe - can't activate

Post by ispyisail »

"Pocket Router from the online Shop"

Yes, this router is a bit different from the normal routers

I've never been able to get openwrt failsafe to work BUT the router comes with its own built in recover mode.

https://youtu.be/T3ue1K0-O9Q

Found this video with a quick search, so haven't watched/tested this video