WRT1900AC v1 Fan Full Speed After Config Restore

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

DJ Lushious

WRT1900AC v1 Fan Full Speed After Config Restore

Post by DJ Lushious »

I've re-flashed my WRT1900AC v1 from stock to 1.10, then restored from a 1.10 config and now my router's fan is running full speed non-stop. I've rebooted the router to no avail. Here are the current temps:

CPU Temperature:58 °C
RAM Temperature:46 °C
Wifi Temperature:49 °C

I'm new to Gargoyle, so I'm not entirely certain how I can fix this. When I had 1.10 on the router a few days ago the fan would kick into high gear after a reboot, but then spin back down after a few minutes. The fan now has been running at max for over 20 minutes now. Thanks!

Lantis

Re: WRT1900AC v1 Fan Full Speed After Config Restore

Post by Lantis »

What config did you restore onto it?
The problem is that the CRON job to turn the fan down hasn’t run.

To be honest, I’d just replace it with my (much better) version.

Code: Select all

wget -O /tmp/install.sh http://lantisproject.com/gargoyle_mvebu/fan_daemon/install_fan_daemon.sh
sh /tmp/install.sh -install
This will shut the fan up, and give it the option of running at half speed during light loads before spinning up to 100% when temps get too high.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

DJ Lushious

Post by DJ Lushious »

Lantis wrote:What config did you restore onto it?
The problem is that the CRON job to turn the fan down hasn’t run.

To be honest, I’d just replace it with my (much better) version.

This will shut the fan up, and give it the option of running at half speed during light loads before spinning up to 100% when temps get too high.
Thanks! After creating this thread I found another post you made with the same advice and the new code fixed the issue immediately. Due to the approval of the thread before it being made public, though, I couldn’t edit it. All is well now!

I had installed 1.10 a few days ago, saved the config and switched back to stock to do some comparisons, then re-flashed back to 1.10. The fan issue cropped up after I restored that first config. Does that answer your first question?

How often does the CRON job run on Gargoyle? Was it I was lucky when I flashed it the first time and the job ran fairly quickly?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

In 1.10.x, the script runs every 5 minutes, but does not run on first boot. This is why it stays loud for a while and then quietens.

In 1.11.x, it will still run every 5 minutes, but it also runs on first boot.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.