How to update firmware ?

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

monster382

How to update firmware ?

Post by monster382 »

Hi guys, I need your help. I don't know much about routers and etc but I'm not an average pc user too but this time I dont know what to do. The problem is I dont know what to download to update my firmware version,what should i do next and I'm worried because I've got a tp-link router(it was gifted to me) but it always been with gargoyle software but up to today's standards, it's outdated. My antivirus told me I'm vulnerable to hacker attacks. I researched and found I have to update router to the 1.10.0 version. Sry for my english i can usually do better but I'm in a rush now.
AVAST PREMIER WI-FI SCANNER - "dnsmasq heap buffer vulnerability" etc.
So what should I download and do please tell me I'm afraid to do things on my own because I can end up with no internet connection and you know it would be a mess.
Here's some info about my router if you need more tell me but I think that would be enough. (I dont know how to upload photos.)

Status
Device Name:Gargoyle
Gargoyle Version:1.6.1
Model:TP-Link TL-WR740N/ND v4
Device Configuration:Gateway
Memory Usage:13.2MB / 28.5MB (46.2%)
Connections:105/4096
CPU Load Averages:0.00 / 0.01 / 0.05 (1/5/15 minutes)

P.S - I know how to make it to WI-FI and set my router seems pretty simple if something changed a lot after the new version i will ask you guys. Thanks in advance

Lantis

Re: How to update firmware ?

Post by Lantis »

To be honest with you, your router is too low spec, and upgrading will likely cause you headaches. The firmware does not reliably fit into 4MB of flash anymore since version 1.8.1 onwards.

If you’re that worried about the whole thing, I wouldn’t recommend upgrading that device.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

tapper

Post by tapper »

Hi the best you can do is upgrade to Gargoyle 1.6.2.
Un tick the box to save settings and flash this file.
https://www.gargoyle-router.com/downloa ... pgrade.bin

This will give you a update but not to a latest build.
I am sorry to say that best thing you can do is get a new router.
Any of the routers in my sig will run the latest builds, but don't go for the 1043nd as that is not mutch better than the one you have.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

monster382

Post by monster382 »

Thanks for the fast response. I decided to not do anything. If I buy new router in future I dont think I will be on gargoyle firmware although I like it and it's very usable. You know routers come in with their own built in software. I dont even know how would i switch it to gargoyle and if i do something wrong i might end up like..imagine a pc having windows and linux mixed i dont know if it's possible. Pc probably wont even start.
Anyway you can lock the thread.