Gargoyle on RPI 1, with USB Tethering

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

panina

Gargoyle on RPI 1, with USB Tethering

Post by panina »

Hi!

I'm trying to get Gargoyle working on a RPi, with wan connection through an android phone with reverse USB Tethering.

I love Gargoyle's bandwidth quota system, and would love to get this setup working.

I've successfully built Gargoyle for RPi (roughly) according to a 2016 guide on the subject from dreavelop's blog.

From there I went to the OpenWRT guides for USB Tethering, and tried to install the needed packages. There, however, I ran into some trouble.

The packages kmod-usb-net and kmod-usb-net-rndis could not be installed due to a kernel mismatch. They want kernel 3.18.23-1, and I have 3.18.84-1 on the device.

What would be the best course of action here? Can I rebuild the image with a different kernel, or should I try to build the packages for the kernel I have?

I'm a bit new to this depth of customiziation, even though I've been running OpenWRT and such for 5-10 years. Advice would be very welcome.

Lantis

Re: Gargoyle on RPI 1, with USB Tethering

Post by Lantis »

If you're already at the point of building a custom image, it is trivial to include additional kmods.

attempting to patch to build with an older kernel would be awful.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.