Problem with D-Link DIR-835

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

AndyS

Problem with D-Link DIR-835

Post by AndyS »

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum... and having trouble with my D-Link model DIR-835A1 router.
It has Gargoyle V1.8.1, rev 294a025 installed and was working fine until I messed with it!
I forgot my admin password so I opened a Telnet session and issued "firstboot" command to reset password.
I then restarted it and went to web I/Face and tried to log in with "password" but no response.
I then used Putty and opened an SSH session and successfully logged in as "root" & "password".
I used "logread" to save the log as a .txt file (but get error when I try to attach it here)
I don't know what to do from here - any help appreciated.
Basically I need to access the web I/face so that I can reconfigure it but I'd also like to upgrade to f/ware V1.10.0

ispyisail

Re: Problem with D-Link DIR-835

Post by ispyisail »

google "openwrt failsafe reset"

AndyS

Post by AndyS »

Thanks Ispy..
Yes I've looked at a few sites... but it can get very confusing...
I did this: see image1
and this: see image2
After reboot, the web I/face still appears but I can't get past the Login screen (I'm using "password" which works in SSH session).
I'm not sure where to go from here...

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

If you can't get through the web interface (for some reason...) then your only real option is to reflash via SSH.

There's no good reason that the GUI wouldn't let you in though that i can think of.

1. Download sysupgrade file and send it to /tmp on router
2. sysupgrade -n /tmp/sysupgradefile.bin
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

AndyS

Post by AndyS »

Okay... but I thought it was done using FonFlash for this router?

I don't seem to be able to open an SSH session now :(
Using Putty, I can Telnet to it, mount_root and set passwd which is supposed to enable SSH right?
But now when I try to open SSH session I get "Network error: Connection refused" (I was able to connect yesterday).
I've got the appropriate sysupgrade.bin file but how would I send it to /tmp on router (assuming I can get SSH session to run)?

AndyS

Post by AndyS »

Sorry, I was trying to access SSH in safe mode...
So, I'm connected in SSH session...
I've got the appropriate sysupgrade.bin file but how would I send it to /tmp on router ?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

WinSCP and drag and drop, or wget
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

AndyS

Post by AndyS »

Successfully upgraded to V1.10 :)
and now I can access the web GUI
Thank you very much for your help