TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND V2 WAN port problem

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

ericwong

TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND V2 WAN port problem

Post by ericwong »

I have a TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND V2 router on hand which exhibit strange behaviour that I cannot fix or figure out why. This is the first time I have seen this.

I have multiple TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND V2 router on hand and I have only found one which exhibit this behaviour.

The problem is the WAN port does not work. The WAN port indicator light works and LAN port on the router it is connected to via WAN port also lights up. This should means the WAN port works but it is unable to get IP address via DHCP from the upstream router. Note: doing exactly the same connection using another unit of this router model works just fine.

I have tried reverting back to factory firmware and surprisingly, WAN port works fine on factory firmware but it is not working on Gargoyle 1.8.1 or 1.10.0. Obviously, I can't sent this back for warranty when WAN port is working perfectly fine when using factory firmware.

I found some old discussion about the TL-WR1043ND V1 having bootloader that disable WAN port
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2584&p=12070#p12070
So, I also tried flashing factory firmware TL-WR1043ND_V2_140613 and TL-WR1043ND_V2_130925 from http://www.tp-link.com/us/download/TL-W ... l#Firmware which contains the boot loader portion after I revert back to factory firmware. However, nothing I do makes WAN port works when I am running Gargoyle.

logread does not show anything unusual or any indication of WAN port activity.

LAN Port 1-4 are working fine when connected to computer.

May I know if anyone knows what I could do to find the cause of the problem or is there a fix around? If you think this is a hardware fault, what can I do to prove it using factory firmware when WAN port is working fine there....
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

ericwong

Re: TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND V2 WAN port problem

Post by ericwong »

I also tried swapping the WAN port to LAN port1 but it makes no difference, i.e. WAN port still not working.

I do the port swap by modifying config/network, swapping 4 and 5 like this. (I have tested every port and somehow 4 means the LAN port1.)

Code: Select all

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vlan '1'
	option ports '0 1 2 3 5'

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vlan '2'
	option ports '4 6'
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Hardware problem?

tapper

Post by tapper »

Wow dude I have never herd of any thing like this. I don't know what to suggest you have tried all the things I can think of!
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

ispyisail wrote:Hardware problem?
Feels like hardware problem but I can't show it using factory firmware. The problem only exhibit itself under Gargoyle firmware using WAN port for internet. It seems to work just fine if the WAN port is configured for LAN. Very puzzling.
Eric Wong

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

tapper wrote:Wow dude I have never herd of any thing like this. I don't know what to suggest you have tried all the things I can think of!
Actually, I tried more than I wrote. I tried using custom MAC too but doesn't make any difference.

WAN via wireless works too. I don't know why I can't get the ethernet port to work as WAN.

It is actually a brand new router I just unwrapped from the box. I have more and I hope I don't see more of these weirdos.
Eric Wong