Flashing on a WRT 1200 AC v2

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

givecake

Flashing on a WRT 1200 AC v2

Post by givecake »

Hi all,

I may seem overly cautious, but may I ask:
Is the file "gargoyle_1.10.0-mvebu-armada-385-linksys-caiman-squashfs-factory.img" ready to be installed as firmware? From reading around, it seems I need a binary file, with a .bin extension?

My plan is to connect the router to a computer with a cable, go to the URL, find the firmware install page and try the .img file.

Is there something wrong with this plan?
TIA,

cake

Lantis

Re: Flashing on a WRT 1200 AC v2

Post by Lantis »

Sounds fine to me.
The “factory” firmware to get from OEM to Gargoyle is a .img.
Subsequent sysupgrade firmware will be .bin
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

givecake

Post by givecake »

Thanks Lantis. I'll let you know how it goes!

givecake

Post by givecake »

The flashing went well! =D

May I ask, if I want to put all my company's IP's (except the gateway) through gargoyle, what settings should I use? The gateway is the acting DHCP. Now it just needs to sit quietly acting as a filter for all the IP's going through it, monitoring bandwidth, and possibly restricting bandwidth at times.

givecake

Post by givecake »

To make gargoyle act as a filter, would it go like this? :

Internet connection > Modem > DHCP Router > Gargoyle > Main switch and Wireless router > Individual computers

If this is possible, which settings could you use? It doesn't need to act as wireless, because there's another router for that.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

You don’t want that because you’ll end up with triple NAT.
You want something more like

Code: Select all

Internet —— Modem ——— Gargoyle ———— Switch/wireless —— clients
                                |
                                 —————— DHCP Router
For example:
Modem hands out addresses in the 192.168.0.x range, Gargoyle gets 192.168.0.1
Gargoyle is in Gateway mode and with a custom DHCP option**. Gargoyle should have a static IP of say 192.168.1.1
DHCP Router is handing out addresses in the 192.168.1.x range. DHCP Router should have a static IP of say 192.168.1.2

** Gargoyle is using a special DHCP option called “option 6” and advertising to clients that they should look for DHCP at another address (in this case 192.168.1.2)
This requires manually editing the DHCP config file and adding the line:
list dhcp_option '6,192.168.1.2’
To the LAN section of /etc/config/dhcp

Personally, I’d simplify the network and take the DHCP Router out of the equation.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

givecake

Post by givecake »

Woooh, nice. Thanks Lantis.

I'll try set that up. If it doesn't work, I'll think about swapping out the older DHCP router.
Is there a way one can donate to you?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

To me personally? Nah. To the project in general? There used to be. I can’t find it anymore.

But it’s all good. I do this for fun and as a hobby.
All I ask is that if you’ve got knowledge to share with the community, hang around and help out :)

givecake

Post by givecake »

I will do what I can, but at the moment I know very little.

I have a small problem, I turned off DHCP, but now can't connect directly computer to router via ethernet. It can't give me an IP, so I suppose we can't communicate. I was trying to do a hard reset, but holding the reset button for 30 seconds doesn't work. Is the hard reset different with the gargoyle firmware?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

If disabling DHCP you'll need to temporarily set a static IP on your client to be able to connect.

Reset is performed as shown in this youtube video (note that you should use SSH rather than Telnet).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NqHpRHl8gQ