Youku YK-L1c

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

ghorvath

Youku YK-L1c

Post by ghorvath »

I bought a Youku YK-L1c router with a Gargoyle firmware already installed on it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-2-4gh ... 2749.l2649

The current version says 1.9.X (Built 20160330-1332 git@a36337c).

I would like to upgrade this to the newest stable Gargoyle version (1.10.0). From the date 20160330 I assume that the current firmware is at least 2 years old now.

Which architecture and file should I choose? Would MediaTeK/Ralink ramips architecture with gargoyle_1.10.0-ramips-mt7620-xiaomi-miwifi-mini-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin work? Or should I try the file with wt3020 in the name?
cat /proc/cpuinfo says that it has a MediaTek MT7620A ver:2 eco:6 processor unit.

Is there any way I can check which version was installed, or was it some kind of special firmware put together from source?

Sorry for the many questions, I really like Gargoyle (that was the main reason I bought this router, that it had Gargoyle preinstalled on it, so I was sure it is supported), and would not want to brick my router by flashing the wrong firmware.

Thanks.

Lantis

Re: Youku YK-L1c

Post by Lantis »

That isn't a model i can find any information on. You need to go back to the seller and find out how they are compiling their firmware.

I can't provide you support for something i don't have any info on.

It is NOT officially supported.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ghorvath

Post by ghorvath »

Lantis wrote:That isn't a model i can find any information on. You need to go back to the seller and find out how they are compiling their firmware.
Ok, I will just do that. Thanks.
Lantis wrote: I can't provide you support for something i don't have any info on.

It is NOT officially supported.
I understand. While I contact the seller, is there any way I can give information about the router? Like post /proc/cpuinfo, etc? Since the router already has some kind of gargoyle on it, and I have ssh access to it. To possibly support this router in the future?

Thanks.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Contents of
/etc/banner
/etc/openwrt_release

But, by the looks of things they've done their own customisation.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ghorvath

Post by ghorvath »

Lantis wrote:Contents of
/etc/banner
/etc/openwrt_release

Code: Select all

root@Gargoyle:~# cat /etc/banner
------------------------------------------------------------------
|            _____                             _                 |
|           |  __ \                           | |                |
|           | |  \/ __ _ _ __ __ _  ___  _   _| | ___            |
|           | | __ / _` | '__/ _` |/ _ \| | | | |/ _ \           |
|           | |_\ \ (_| | | | (_| | (_) | |_| | |  __/           |
|            \____/\__,_|_|  \__, |\___/ \__, |_|\___|           |
|                             __/ |       __/ |                  |
|                            |___/       |___/                   |
|                                                                |
|----------------------------------------------------------------|
| Gargoyle version 1.9.X    | OpenWrt Chaos Calmer branch        |
| Gargoyle revision a36337c | OpenWrt commit a03a846             |
| Built 三月 30, 2016     | Target  ramips/custom              |
------------------------------------------------------------------
root@Gargoyle:~# cat /etc/openwrt_release 
DISTRIB_ID='OpenWrt'
DISTRIB_RELEASE='Chaos Calmer'
DISTRIB_REVISION='r48792'
DISTRIB_CODENAME='chaos_calmer'
DISTRIB_TARGET='ramips/mt7620'
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION='OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05'
DISTRIB_TAINTS='no-all'
root@Gargoyle:~#
Would you need any information on the router?

Thanks.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

The good news is they are using one of the base Gargoyle commits.
This doesn’t mean they haven’t put their own in as well (and I suspect they have) but there is at least a valid starting point.

But the target being “ramips/custom” is what worries me.
We can’t see what custom config they’ve used for the build.

The generic MT7620 build might work, but chances of a bad flash are high.
If they will give you the build config that would be a good outcome.

ghorvath

Post by ghorvath »

Ok, so they have yet to share me the build config, but I learned that the bootloader is not overwritten by flashing (similarly to ASUS routers). So in case of a bad flash I will be able to flash another firmware by putting the bootloader into emergency mode.

However, I still do not have any image of Gargoyle I can flash. Is there a way that I can save the current firmware into a flash file so I can flash it back in case there is trouble?

Thanks.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Not with any ease or level of success.
You can attempt to write each partition of the firmware out bit by bit and restore it bit by bit. But this is far from a “backup”.

I don’t recommend this at all.

ghorvath

Post by ghorvath »

I did not have time to do anything with this in the past couple months, but now I am back.

I checked, and the official LEDE 17.04 apparently supports this router. Now, I would really like to have a Gargoyle firmware on this router, which is not compiled by someone who does not give me the source. And I would rather have Gargoyle, than LEDE.

So I would be happy to try to look at the LEDE and Gargoyle source codes and do whatever it takes to finally come up with a compiled firmware. But I need some pointers. What should I look at, how to compile, do I need to add some new folder to Gargoyle under mt7620 target, etc.

Anyone could help me with a couple of sites I can check out to start my journey in this? Thanks.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

You should start here:
https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/do ... umentation

For your device, if it is supported by 17.04, then you should use the branch “base-on_openwrt_remerge” which will become Gargoyle 1.11.0 and is based on Openwrt 18.06.

The Ramips target has not been migrated to the new build yet, so you will need to generate a config from scratch using the base Openwrt config.

In the meantime, I have sent the seller a request for source code under GPL requirements. If they won’t comply, there’s not much that can be done, but I’ll certainly report it to eBay.