WR-1043ND V2 wifi problems?

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

MickO

WR-1043ND V2 wifi problems?

Post by MickO »

I've got two 1043's. Each is in a physically separate environment, using different ISP's.
One is using DD-WRT with no firmware updates for a couple of years. The other is using the latest version of Gargoyle, 1.10.

People using the DD-WRT version have been reporting WiFi problems with connections made, but internet not available. Usually, a BRS restart of the router solves the problem for a while.
My router is doing much the same with iPhone/iPad users reporting no internet available, although connected. My Android phone is now suffering the same, but not all WiFi users. All fixed equipment is connected by ethernet, with all mobile equipment using WiFi. I have noticed web page response slowdowns on various ethernet connected equipment, from time to time.
Web maxed out data downloads and uploads seem to be unaffected by total pipe saturation.
My previous 1043, the V1, had to be replaced under warranty with throughput and possibly similar problems, about three years ago. The nice people at TP-Link replacing it with the newer V2 model.

Anybody else suffering similar problems. If it wasn't for the lack of decent FREE DDNS selection, I would revert back to original firmware and see what happens and compare the performance.

ericwong

Re: WR-1043ND V2 wifi problems?

Post by ericwong »

This is a known problem for a very long time. There was some progress made but in my opinion, it is not fully fixed yet.

If you encounter WIFI related problems, try to change the WIFI channel. Changing the channel is known to avoid/reduce the frequency of this problem.
See these links for information on this bug
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/11862#comment:290
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/15464#comment:9
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

MickO

Post by MickO »

Thanks Eric. Assume this is a Open-WRT software problem, as opposed to TP-Link hardware?
I tried to get to the links provided, but Chrome is suggesting...
You cannot visit dev.openwrt.org right now because its certificate has been revoked. Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later...
I will try with another browser and see if I get the same.

MickO

Post by MickO »

Decided to disable the on board wifi and now using a BT HH5 as an access point, with the advantage of dual bands.

Now looking at an TP-LINK-Archer-C7-AC1750 to replace the WR1043ND, which hopefully won't have the same wifi problem?
Or should I dump TP-Link and go for Linksys. If so, which one?

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

MickO wrote: Now looking at an TP-LINK-Archer-C7-AC1750 to replace the WR1043ND, which hopefully won't have the same wifi problem?
Or should I dump TP-Link and go for Linksys. If so, which one?
TP-LINK-Archer-C7-AC1750 suffers exactly the same problem because it uses exactly the same chip. I have both routers and I have used them both long enough to know they are the same. Go for the Linksys WRT routers, I have a WRT1900ACS too and its WI-FI never have problem or requires a reboot.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I have a C7 and never have any problems.

I've heard reports that that the linksys has wifi driver problems that will be fixed when we move to LEDE/openwrt?

MickO

Post by MickO »

Now running wrt1200ac with Gargoyle.
So far, no problems.
Flashed my wr1043nd's with LEDE.
Now working fine.
Looking forward to Gargoyle LEDE in the future.
Thanks for comments.

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

MickO wrote:Now running wrt1200ac with Gargoyle.
How's the WAN download throughput on the WRT1200AC?
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

MickO

Post by MickO »

A bit late with an answer. Max download with the broadband I have is 40Mbit. That's the highest my broadband will go, unless I upgrade to 1Gbit that passes my front door.