Install and uninstall on TP-WR741ND

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

mkc2lr

Install and uninstall on TP-WR741ND

Post by mkc2lr »

I tryed to use a TP-Link router as client bridge. Unfortunately, this seems not to work with DD-WRT as I planned. I read in the DD-WRT forum that somone tried with Gargoyle and was successful.
As I'm more experienced with DD-WRT and Tomato I need some help.

1.) I read the documentation and found no special manual for flashing this router. I would assume that flashing the file with the "factory" in the name would be possible directly from the original firmware, is this correct? (I can revert DD-WRT to original)

2.) is there any possibility to revert back from Gargoyle to the original FW? How?

pbix
Developer

Re: Install and uninstall on TP-WR741ND

Post by pbix »

Well I can answer question 1).

Use gargoyle_1.3.10-ar71xx-tl-wr741nd-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin from the download page. You should be able to do this from either the factory or DD-WRT firmware update page.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

mkc2lr

Post by mkc2lr »

Hello pbix,

thanks for your answer. I'm surprised. I would have expected gargoyle_1.3.10-ar71xx-tl-wr741nd-v1-squashfs-factory.bin to be the correct file for flashing from the factory firmware and the other file for upgrading.

Obviously my understanding might be wrong, so what is the purpose of gargoyle_1.3.10-ar71xx-tl-wr741nd-v1-squashfs-factory.bin?

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

pbix: No, the right file to use IS gargoyle_1.3.10-ar71xx-tl-wr741nd-v1-squashfs-factory.bin in order to upgrade from the original factory firmware as mkc2lr says. When I sent you an ar71xx router it had gargoyle already installed so you didn't have to perform this step. The sysupgrade file is only for upgrading from an existing gargoyle/openwrt installation.

mkc2lr: I believe it is possible to revert back to the original firmware, but I haven't done it. Try checking the openwrt wiki page for this router (wiki.openwrt.org).

mkc2lr

Post by mkc2lr »

Eric, thanks for your answer.
I guess, I'll try to flash Gargoyle as I don't get the client bridge running with dd-wrt. I guess it is as described in the dd-wrt forum. There must be some bugs with this router and also client bridge in general.

I also read the chapter how to revert back from Gargoyle to original in the wiki (thanks for the hint!). Unfortunately, the linked firmware is a 1.x firmware. I hope, this will work it I use the 2.0 firmware also.
Maybe I could also revert over dd-wrt? (Gargoyle -> dd-wrt -> original). Hopefully I don't need to revert, if it simply works...

Does anyone have experiences with Gargoyle and the client bridge function on the 741ND?

mkc2lr

Post by mkc2lr »

I made it ! :D :D :D

Gargoyle is running on my 741ND, I deleted the buggy DD-WRT and everything simply works !!!
Client bridge to my E3000 without any issues. I tried for days now with DD-WRT and with Gargoyle it worked the first try. Perfect interface for configuration and perfect system which simply works !!!!
I will never revert back ! Forget all the questions about that.

Thanks to all !

Ysdadsdslo

Post by Ysdadsdslo »

Very good and informative exchange .. Thank you!
dubli