DLink 825 B1 Upgrade to 1.10.0

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Lantis

Re: DLink 825 B1 Upgrade to 1.10.0

Post by Lantis »

I’m not sure we can help you further.
The instructions I linked look good.

Any firmware activities involve risk so at some point you may just need to take the leap of faith.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

jimb

Post by jimb »

Thank you for your help.

After reading the post you shared that the problem with the UI seems to the upgrade image is too big and the last successful upgrade was with 1.8.1 where there are actually 2 upgrade images one for fat and one for squashfs. I am wondering why starting with the 1.9.x there is only one for both file systems when the file size of the combined one is now too big to perform the upgrade via the UI? Is there any way to build it like it was for 1.8.x so you can use the upgrade via the UI instead of having to jump through some hoops to maybe do it via the CLI?

I was also wondering if it is possible to maybe reset to factory (D-Link factory) and then apply the Gargoyle factory image for 1.10.x? Or is it even possible to apply the OpenWRT upgrade image (matching the same version as 1.10.x is based on) and then install Gargoyle via the OpenWRT UI?

Thanks again in advance.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

To try any of your suggested methods the probability of bricking your router is high.

Use old firmware or buy a new router

jimb

Post by jimb »

So then you are saying there is no way to use the upgrade image to perform an update on my router?

Thanks in advance.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

jimb wrote:So then you are saying there is no way to use the upgrade image to perform an update on my router?

Thanks in advance.
no, i'm saying its extremely risky and its unlikely you will get any help. (your on you own)

Router is at end of life as far as gargoyle is concerned

MarkusD

Post by MarkusD »

I managed to upgrade my Dir825B1 to 1.10.0. And it is working fine. Things to take note of on how i managed to get it to work.
1. Use Internet explorer
2. Firstly upgrade the 825 to the latest version 2.07NA ( i used the 30 seconds press reset button method)
3. Once you are runnjng the stock 2.07NA, reset to factory.
4. Shorten the name of the gargoyle_1.10.0......factory.bin file to just gargoyle.bin
5. Update firmware using the usual method from Tools-->Firmware

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Nice. Thanks for posting back your method
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

The_Hawk

Post by The_Hawk »

I've also got the 825 B1 which I have been using for a long time.
I'm stuck on 1.9.1 thanks to the bin files being too big since then.

I might be willing to give this a go, I'm plenty comfortable with tinkering with things and am willing to wear the bricking potential... but I have a pretty simple question.

Is it worth it?

I don't use the built in WiFi, in fact I only use a single port to get internet into the network which has everything in a single 24 port gigabit switch.

What does 1.10 give me?

As an alternative, if I was to upgrade the router to something newer and better, would a newer model do anything different/better than the current on? (also what would be the recommended router in 2018??)