Is WR1043ND-V4 supported?

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

cwswpl

Re: Is WR1043ND-V4 supported?

Post by cwswpl »

Thanks heaps for all the advice guys. I have just scooped up a 1200AC that will arrive next week.

It will be in a well ventilated area and better to start cheap in case I stuff it up.

Although I notice that apparently with a USB/TTL cable these models can be unbricked? I could certainly do without the thrill of that risk.

I haven't used these cables before, is this what I need:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PL2303TA-US ... SwnHZYdUm5

I gather they connect directly to the router circuit board, and then what, you interact via telnet or TTY?

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I haven't used these cables before, is this what I need:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PL2303TA-US ... SwnHZYdUm5

I gather they connect directly to the router circuit board, and then what, you interact via telnet or TTY?
Be careful, some of these devices don't have windows 10 64bit drivers.

The cheap stuff only has windows XP 32bit drivers.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Buy a cable if you like, but you’ll have to try pretty hard to break one of these.
These devices have 2 partitions on them.

Turning off and on the power switch 3 times (with a particular timing) forces it to reboot into the other partition.
I’ve never had to use a cable to fix one yet *touch wood*
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

cwswpl

Post by cwswpl »

Buy a cable if you like, but you’ll have to try pretty hard to break one of these.
These devices have 2 partitions on them.
That's very good to know. So I have a spare life before I even need to worry about it. Might still get one though just in case.
Be careful, some of these devices don't have windows 10 64bit drivers.
Thanks, didn't notice that till you pointed it out. Must be a lot of old stock out there.

With the list of firmware that you posted, have I got it right that it's the Caiman releases I neeed for the 1200AC and that

gargoyle_1.10.0-mvebu-armada-385-linksys-caiman-squashfs-factory.img

is for a fresh install, while

gargoyle_1.10.0-mvebu-armada-385-linksys-caiman-squashfs-sysupgrade.tar

is for upgrading an older version of gargoyle?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Spot on
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

masda74

Post by masda74 »

I have had the WR1043ND V4 for a few months now.
I was under the impression that the V4 of the hardware was supported and so I went out to buy it.

I then started to look for the download files and could not locate them. It was really disappointing to find that it was not supported. Here in Western Australia, we do not have an extensive list of hard sold in our computer stores.

I had searched this forum for a modem/router that may have been sold in the computer stores locally.

I understand that both Openwrt and LEDE have downloads for this router and so I believe it is supported.
I just do not understand why Gargoyle is not supporting this version of the hardware.

The main reason why I want to use gargoyle is for the quota function. Yes I have kids and I want to manage the amount of data that they can use per day.

I first tried LEDE and that worked, but was based on times of the day. I really do not want to limit my kids to time in a day, but rather the amount of data that they use.
they use Youtube quite a lot.

Usage per day can vary between 8Gb-14Gb worth of data.
That is a lot of data. Pretty soon I will be charged for extra data and I do not look forward to that day.

I found a webpage on the openwrt site.
I can not paste it here as the forum will not allow me to do so. If you do a search in google for "openwrt wiki Gestione quote", it should be the first link.
it is in a different language and I have translated it to English.

However certain entries do not work with Openwrt.
I have connected to the router with putty on port 22.
I have edited the firewall file to include the necessary information.

the following line was not accepted by the openwrt system.
ip 'ALL' option

I had to change it so that it was shown as
option ip 'ALL'

The rule would then be displayed in the web page.
I did all the other changes to the necessary files.
I created the file at this location
/usr/lib/gargoyle_firewall_util/gargoyle_additions.firewall
and yet I was not able to get this to work.
the quotas did not apply.

I am sure that there is more to it than just making those changes. At the same time, I do not want to be violating any licensing or rules by making these changes.

Is anyone actually working on making V4 firmware for this router? Is there a list that shows which projects are currently being worked on?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

1. Gargoyle is based on the Chaos Calmer branch of Openwrt. WR1043ND v4 was only supported in Trunk. Therefore Gargoyle will not support it.
It is also supported in LEDE (consider this the future development of Openwrt Trunk). Gargoyle has a migration path to LEDE, but it has not happened yet.

2. We can’t support your Openwrt query here, sorry

3. Try looking online for more supported routers. WA is not isolated last I checked ;) unless the rain down south has changed that fact in the last few days. The postman should be able to find you

masda74

Post by masda74 »

thanks for the reply Lantis

so what you are saying is that I should put LEDE back on the router and then try and make the changes to the firewall and the gargoyle_additions.firewall files.

I have tried to look online for more supported routers.
the problem with online purchases, is that they do not specify which version of the router you will be getting.

If I manage to find a supported router, most of the time those routers are over 200 clams. :(

the hunt goes on. Thanks for your time.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

The Gargoyle firewall is very interdependent on other Gargoyle systems.
I don’t think you will have an easy time getting it running on LEDE.

But if you want to try, good luck and hope it goes well!

ninderrycomp

Post by ninderrycomp »

It looks like the people over at the LEDE project have got this going on the V4 and V5 version of this router. Would I be right in saying that it shouldn't be too hard to get Gargoyle going on this same device?