Time to Upgrade, what should I buy?

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

jwbohrer

Time to Upgrade, what should I buy?

Post by jwbohrer »

I bought the my last routers from the Gargoyle Shop, but I think I need more than the small router currently offered so I'm wondering what is the best router these days? Budget is around $150, maybe a little higher if the payoff is worth it. I see a couple Linksys models--the WRTAC1900 and just an AC1900 that works with Alexa (can't figure out why that would be needed), a Netgear Nighthawk, an Archer C7, etc. I just don't know which to buy and am paralyzed by indecision.

I have Midco cable coming in at 75/7, which is upgradable to 100/10 and then they have a gigabyte plan which I probably won't ever get.

That runs through a new cable modem to the router, which goes to a switch that has hardwired connections to a TV, Desktop, XBoxOne, Raspberry Pi and mac mini that I use as a media server (Its attached to a big USB disk). I wouldn't mind hooking the USB disk upto the router itself...most of my backed up DVDs and Blue Rays reside on that disk, (The Pi runs XBMC and pulls the files off the USB).

Then I've got a couple Amazon Firesticks and an assortment of smart phones and tablets.

The current setup is a 1043v.2 (I think) which seems to run well except every week or so it just drops the wireless connection until I reboot the device. The wireless network is still visible, but it asks for a password and rejects the connection even if you give it a good password.

I've reset it a million times, and even did the "hard" factory reset once but it never has been as stable as it needs to be, so time to move on.

I do use QOS rules--the very simple rules I found on a thread here--and use a few rules and filters mostly related to the time of day my kids get kicked off the network but I don't have a super complicated set up.

ispyisail

Re: Time to Upgrade, what should I buy?

Post by ispyisail »

I see a couple Linksys models--the WRTAC1900 and just an AC1900 that works with Alexa (can't figure out why that would be needed), a Netgear Nighthawk, an Archer C7,
I think this covers the main routers

jwbohrer

Post by jwbohrer »

Quality-wise, or suitability for Gargoyle-wise, do any of them stand out as "better"?

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Non are perfect

The C7 is solid but under high network speeds the CPU will struggle and only the v2 if you can find one. (>100MBPS)

The linksys routers are much more powerful but I don't think the wifi drivers are as good. I understand this will be fixed when we move to LEDE? The are also very expensive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TP-Link-Archer ... 0033.m2042

NGowner

Post by NGowner »

I went through the same indecision process as you. I landed on the Archer C7, but not new.

I picked up three v2.0s off of eBay used from separate sellers for a combined $110 delivered. I still have a 1043ND and an 841ND in my network, but the core of the network was upgraded to AC AP and bridge links.

Flashing was not an issue for me; I found and used an older firmware version that permitted third party installs on the Archer C7. It was a two step process. Load the older firmware, then load Gargoyle. The whole process took 5 minutes. Easy Peasy.

Find v2.0s off eBay used. That's the route you want to go.

[NG]Owner

jwbohrer

Post by jwbohrer »

So a V2 is better than a V4?

NGowner

Post by NGowner »

I can't answer that for you. I know that v2s work with Gargoyle.

[NG]Owner