wndr3800 upgrade from openwrt to gargoyle

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

avrtech

wndr3800 upgrade from openwrt to gargoyle

Post by avrtech »

Hi All,

I have a Netgear wndr3800 that currently has OpenWRT AA 12.09-r35685 as its firmware. I would like to move to the latest Gargoyle build, but when I tried to flash it using gargoyle_1.9.x-ar71xx-generic-wndr3800-squashfs-factory.img I got the message "The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. That sent me reading and I was unable to find a satisfactory answer.

1. Am I safe to change .img to .bin and do the upgrade to gargoyle in luci?
or...
2. I read that I have to revert back to the original firmware before I do an upgrade, but that was in a dd-wrt forum.
If I do have to revert back to the original Netgear firmware, is there a safe source for that and does it have to be a certain version?

Thank you for any help.
A

avrtech

Re: wndr3800 upgrade from openwrt to gargoyle

Post by avrtech »

Sorry, for some reason I couldn't find what I was looking for until after I had submitted the question.

To answer my own question (I think):
I have to use the upgrade gargoyle_1.9.2-ar71xx-generic-wndr3800-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

A

ektus

Post by ektus »

Gargoyle is OpenWRT-based, and your router is already running OpenWRT. It is not running factory, so don't use the factory image but the sysupgrade one. Don't preserve settings, they are not compatible.

Switching between OpenWRT and Gargoyle, it is not necessary to revert to stock.

Regards
Ektus.

avrtech

Post by avrtech »

Thank you very much for the reply.

I did the sysupgrade and it is up and running.

Thanks again
A