Seting up Gargoyle router as bridge.

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

mrouilla515

Seting up Gargoyle router as bridge.

Post by mrouilla515 »

HI, not an expert on the subject,I am trying to understand the Wireless Bride/repeater page. There is very little information on that. I would really appreciated some insight on this. Not that I really need it now but that's a feature I would like to try for fun.

Let say I have my main router hooked up to my ISP with a couple of PC attached to it. The second router will be setup as the "bridge" running gargoyle. It also has a bunch of PC attached. So how do I set up that page ?

1) The ISP router has the address 192.168.1.1. What should be the address on the "AP/Gateway" field. Example ?
2) what kind of addresses will the PCs attached to the second router will looks like ?
3) What is the purpose of the "repeater" option ?
4) The SSID to join is from the ISP router I presume but what is the function of the SSID to broadcast, that's for who ?

Many thanks.
That's a really nice project.

Lantis

Re: Seting up Gargoyle router as bridge.

Post by Lantis »

1) 192.168.1.1
2) 192.168.1.x
3) To rebroadcast a duplicate of the network you are connected to. Devices who have associated to one in the past should transparently re associate to the other as well. It's just extending the range of the original network
4) As per 3, but if you want to change the SSID so that it is distinguishable from the original network. Obviously at this point devices will not auto associate unless they know both networks.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

mrouilla515

Post by mrouilla515 »

Thanks Lantis,

Got it. I just want to confirm this one a bit ;

1) "What should be the address on the Ap/Gateway" refer to router no.2 (bridging one). So "Bridge IP" and "AP/Gateway" can the same ?

It will have the same addresses as router no.1 (ISP router)? I though bridging was to connect 2 different networks. If not what should be "BRIDGE IP" address then. (example)

Tx

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Bridge ip and Gateway ip should never be the same.
Bridge ip is a local address on a different subnet used to establish a relay for dhcp traffic. This allows the dhcp server upstream to serve to clients on the other side of the bridge, keeping them all on the same subnet.

The first image in this article may describe it better
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/relayclient
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

mrouilla515

Post by mrouilla515 »

Wow, that's not for the faint of heart. I'll give it a shot later, later. I don't want to break anything now.

Thanks a lot for your patience Lantis.