Archer C7 Nearly Bricked

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Heathkit

Archer C7 Nearly Bricked

Post by Heathkit »

We just received the latest Archer C7 with the later chipset and sure enough cannot load 1.9.2. So took the load wrt and then upgrade to Gargoyle.

Everything appeared to work fine.
I added some quotas and all looked OK.
Then I made some changes to the VOIP QOS. The router started going into reboot cycle, I could ping it every so often and by some miracle got into the admin page enough times to do a factory reset.
It seems to be working as a basic router OK but I am afraid I will brick it if I try anything else.
Is there any news on a later version for the C7 or should we roll back to 1.8.n ?

tapper

Re: Archer C7 Nearly Bricked

Post by tapper »

Hi pleas don't flash a older build or you will deffo have a brick on your hands.
When setting up QOS you can't use any layer 7 rules or the router can go in to a boot loop. If you set up QOS with out any layer 7 rules then all should be OK.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

Heathkit

Post by Heathkit »

OK thanks.
I have rolled back to 1.8.1 and its seems OK but the DNS bug still persists. Is there a work around as I have the wan on DHCP and can see my dns servers.
I have set force clients to use router DNS but I still cannot get the WAN dns servers to resolve. It seems the Router is forced onto another DNS server.

REgards
Heathkit

tapper

Post by tapper »

1.8.1 is buggy you are lucky you haven't bricked it.
The best build to use is here:
WARNING: DO NOT PRESERVE SETTINGS
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11071
WARNING: DO NOT PRESERVE SETTINGS
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

Heathkit

Post by Heathkit »

Sorry but the link you supplied takes us to another forum thread and then its not really clear where the firmware is.
I clicked on the first link and got a 35K .torrent file. However I don't know what to do next please explain?