AirRouter Bricked During Installation (Solution)

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Cheata

AirRouter Bricked During Installation (Solution)

Post by Cheata »

Thought i should let people know about my latest experience installing the gargoyle firmware on a Ubiquiti AirRouter

Recently i installed the gargoyle fimware on an AirRouter and started having all sorts of issues with random factory resets and settings not being saved correctly.

I figured that this must be a problem with a factory faulty device (it happens now and then) and swapped it out for an AirRouter HP. Things got worse.

Next Step ... ok why not re-flash the original manufactures fimrware and start from scratch..... except i now have 2 routers that continuously reboot and even re-flashing using TFTP wont bring them back.

After a lot of searching i have found that the newer Batches of AirRouters have a Newer version of the U-Boot Loader installed... which is apparently buggy and can cause fimrware upgrades to fail.

Happily there is a way round this.

First perform some open heart surgery on your router. Open it up and if the UART Pins are not installed, Install them.

Second use a TTL Cable to interrupt the boot loader and rewrite it with an older version. details on doing this can be found here https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airRouter ... -p/1307929

Once i did this the Gargoyle Firmware went in with 0 issues and rolling back to factory firmware works a treat too.

ispyisail

Re: AirRouter Bricked During Installation (Solution)

Post by ispyisail »

Thanks