what does "Force Clients To Use Router DNS Servers" do?

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

YoMama

what does "Force Clients To Use Router DNS Servers" do?

Post by YoMama »

I've used gargoyle for about a year. I have the typical use case of "want kids to use opendns, adults to use normal dns". I've read all the threads but I still don't get it.

I had a hardware failure yesterday and I set up a new router with a fresh 1.9.2. I have my windows laptop set up to use google DNS servers. When I change the DNS servers in gargoyle to use "OpenDNS Family Shield" and leave "Force Clients To Use Router DNS Servers" unchecked, my laptop still ends up using the OpenDNS servers. When I check "Force Clients To Use Router DNS Servers", the behavior doesn't change.

I think I don't understand what "Force Clients To Use Router DNS Servers" does. In my scenario, what's the simplest way to allow some hosts to use custom DNS and force all the other clients to use OpenDNS? Sorry, I know this question has been answered before, but I feel like there is something obvious that I am not getting. Thanks in advance

Lantis

Re: what does "Force Clients To Use Router DNS Servers" do?

Post by Lantis »

Whatever DNS you set in Gargoyle, it will advertise and hand out to devices.
Those devices can choose to override this and use their own DNS source.

If you select force DNS, the router redirects all DNS traffic (destined for itself or otherwise) through its own DNS.

So, if you're not dealing with kids who are older and tech savvy, leaving it unchecked is fine. If they figure out how to change their DNS, then you may need to look at turning it on.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

rseiler

Re: what does "Force Clients To Use Router DNS Servers" do?

Post by rseiler »

Does that option also mean that the custom DNS specified in the router will show up for the DNS server in "ipconfig /all" on the client?

So far, no matter what I do, the router's IP shows up for DNS on the client. I really need it to point elsewhere.

Thanks

Update: Found the answer here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2643&start=10

Tricky, tricky!

Also, don't use the 'Force' option when doing this.