Do I need to retire my Archer c7 v2?

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

DroopyBits

Do I need to retire my Archer c7 v2?

Post by DroopyBits »

Recently updated my router (Archer c7 v2) to Gargoyle 1.12.0 and have received almost instant complaints from my family about speed, wifi coverage and DNS issues. I've rebooted it to see if that helped, but it does not seem to have. When I log in to the admin interface it seems to struggle (from my phone, more than from the pc).

Are more recent versions of gargoyle simply too heavy for this router?

Do I need to update the router and, if so, what are modern routers that are good for running Gargoyle?

Thanks

ispyisail

Re: Do I need to retire my Archer c7 v2?

Post by ispyisail »

Mine works prefect

What's your load?

DroopyBits

Post by DroopyBits »

ATM:
Memory Usage:22MB / 122.1MB (18%)
Connections:73/4096
CPU Load Averages:0.03 / 0.01 / 0.00 (1/5/15 minutes)

But, that said, no one is here atm. Will try checking it over the next day or so.

topshot

Post by topshot »

Did you figure out your issue? I was going to upgrade from 1.10.x to 1.12.0 soon.

DroopyBits

Post by DroopyBits »

topshot wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:33 am
Did you figure out your issue? I was going to upgrade from 1.10.x to 1.12.0 soon.
Sorry for not responding earlier.

Short answer - no. There's something definitely wrong, but not so wrong that I can find the time to do something about it. From time to time the internet is slow and the wifi range is definitely shorter. Also logging in to the interface takes forever from my mobile - like up to literally 5 minutes before I can view the usage graphs.
Now, that said, I don't know if that's my hardware, as it's getting on.

In response to the load issue - no, the router is not raising a sweat.

topshot

Post by topshot »

I haven't done anything with mine yet. Why "fix" it if it isn't broke, right? Though I suspect there are security bugs that were fixed. My ISP speed isn't anywhere near fast enough to concern myself with looking at a newer router.

eelpout

Post by eelpout »

I have one that is oddly slow at times too.

I made sure the "Status->Web Usage" monitor is off except when I need it and that has helped, but not 100% of the time.

What would one replace it with these days anyway?

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I would have a look at Turris Omnia

https://www.turris.com/en/omnia/overview/
https://www.amazon.com/Turris-hi-Perfor ... B07XCKK146

Never used one but it has good specs and is in theory supported

eelpout

Post by eelpout »

curious what you ended up doing.

I recently upgraded my Comcast plan (since the pricing was a wash) to 800/20. if I connect a laptop directly to the cable modem (an Arris S33) I'm getting ~930 Mbps down. BUT if I connect through my TP-Link Archer C7 v2 via Ethernet, max I can get is around 275 Mbps. Yes, QoS is turned off :). Is there another setting I maybe have to look out for? The one last thing I suppose I could try is resetting everything to default.

I've confirmed with iPerf that the Gigabit hub on the router is working as intended, getting around 936 Mbps to attached devices.

I've seen some talk the CPU in this guy just isn't up to it for the WAN side. Is it time to just move on from this guy?
Last edited by eelpout on Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Even with everything off, it won’t top 300mbps. CPU is going to be having a hernia at that speed too.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.